Vacuum info!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

Vacuum info!

Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:39 am

Hi!

I run 3 x Vinyl Recorders from one vacuum, currently i use a BZT Side channel blower, the specs are 1,1 kW 145 m³/h +190m/bar -150mbar. This is total overkill and i go through chip jar lids way too often, also it is around 70db in noise, it is outside the room, but looking to reduce noise, and unnecessary power consumption.

I am looking to get a model more suitable and wondered if anyone had any advice. The next model down is 0.85 kW 100 m³/h 120m/bar. I wondered whether this was still overkill for 3 x Vinyl recorders, or whether to go down one model again to 0.55kw 80m³/hr -120mbar.

Does anyone have any advice? Would the lower model be sufficient or should i just go one model down?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

tragwag

Re: Vacuum info!

Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:07 pm

making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

farmersplow

Re: Vacuum info!

Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:21 am

Vacuum
(2023)

I needed a good suction system myself. For me, only a side channel blower comes into question. Firstly, only this produces a uniform vacuum because the rotary blower generates uniform suction pressure (unlike piston pumps). Secondly, this device is also relatively temperature-resistant, even if the air passage is very small due to the small suction pipe.
My choice fell on this side channel blower:
https://www.doctor-san.eu/ventilation-luftbewegung/seitenkanalverdichter-filterboxen-filter/seitenkanalverdichter-110mbar-370-watt.html

seitenkanalverdichter-110mbar-370-watt.jpg

Technical data:
Pressure 110mbar
Vacuum 110mbar
Power 370 watts
Voltage 230 V
Noise level 53 dB
Air flow rate 80 m³/h
Weight 11 kg
Air outlet/inlet opening 39mm (1-1/4" pipe thread)
Dimensions mm approx. L/W/H 250 x 240 x 250

With this 80 m³/h air flow rate, you can easily operate three vinyl recorders.

The construction
(2023)

I used 3D software to develop a sound-insulating housing. This also includes a control system that monitors the temperature of the pump and additionally cools it with a fan. On the other hand, the suction power should also be adjustable. This control should work as a "stand alone", but should also be able to be controlled by my record cutter (automated).
Farmers Plow Vacuum 01.JPG
Farmers Plow Vacuum 02.JPG

The building
(2023)

Plywood panels cut to size, drilled, glued and lined with sound insulation mats:
Farmers Plow Vacuum 03.jpg
Farmers Plow Vacuum 04.jpg
Farmers Plow Vacuum 05.jpg
Farmers Plow Vacuum 06.jpg
The closed housing is absolutely quiet. I don't have a dB meter with me, but it's about as loud as a whisper.
Farmers Plow Vacuum 07.jpg
Unfortunately, the inside gets too warm and after 20 minutes of vacuum operation (inlet closed), the motor reaches temperatures of 60°C and the rotor bearing (max.) about 90°C! This is too warm and I had to install an additional fan as planned.
Farmers Plow Vacuum 08.jpg
This has lowered the temperatures to around (max.) 70°C. (Without the housing, the maximum temperatures are around 60°)
Farmers Plow Vacuum 09.jpg
Farmers Plow Vacuum 10.jpg
Farmers Plow Vacuum 11.jpg
Now I just have to build the controller to complete the development. But I'm still thinking about changing the housing because I'm not sure enough about the heat development.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.