Blown Out / Overloading sound?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

Blown Out / Overloading sound?

Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:16 am

Hi!

I typically produce around 800 discs each month, and recently, I've noticed that during production runs, there are instances where a cut comes out sounding distorted or overloaded. Strangely, the next cut returns to its normal quality.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I'm wondering if it's a result of overworking or overloading the lathes (I use three VR T560s) or if there might be other factors to consider. The problem appears random to me and I'd like to find a solution. Whether it involves a modification, repair, or simply reducing the number of records I cut...

Attached is an audio sample with the destroyed audio for reference!

Thanks

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PMST

Re: Blown Out / Overloading sound?

Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:54 am

I should add, i do not use the main unit, all my heads have custom EQ curves to flatten their response.

My cutting chain is:

Audio Player
Cutter amp
Cutter head

boryo

Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:35 am

could it be some bug in the amp? i assume a blown head wont get back to life on its own

PMST

Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:47 am

|It's definitely not the head, i regularly measure each of their impedance when servicing the lathes. Could well be an amp issue though i suppose!

Also, i suppose it could be the tweeters overworking possibly? Which would be a head issue... its so confusing.

baggy86

Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:19 am

It would appear to be a problem with the stylus not being perfectly sharp. Dirt accumulates on the tip because it is not removed well. It happened to me in the past too. Try taking it apart and mounting it on another head. If the problem persists, the diamond is not sharp enough.

PMST

Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:08 am

baggy86 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:19 am
It would appear to be a problem with the stylus not being perfectly sharp. Dirt accumulates on the tip because it is not removed well. It happened to me in the past too. Try taking it apart and mounting it on another head. If the problem persists, the diamond is not sharp enough.
Hey!

This happens during a run, 10 minutes later the next cut is fine so surely it can not be the diamond, otherwise the following cuts would also have the issue?

baggy86

Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:18 am

Yes, it was the diamond in my case.
Even during the same song I had distorted parts and good parts.

tragwag

Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:16 pm

wow, never heard anything like that!
when one of my T560 heads was towards the ends of it's life, it developed a very wobbly/out of phase low end, and then eventually distorted low end that creeped up through the audio spectrum. This is certainly different. It acts more like a "blanket" over the whole spectrum, which leads me to believe it might be stylus/groove related rather than cutterhead health.
Are you noticing changing depth in the scope?
Maybe you have slightly worn spots in the feedscrew that are causing too much depth?
Either that or the springs in the dashpot are not functioning properly?

best of luck with it
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

PMST

Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:46 am

tragwag wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:16 pm
wow, never heard anything like that!
when one of my T560 heads was towards the ends of it's life, it developed a very wobbly/out of phase low end, and then eventually distorted low end that creeped up through the audio spectrum. This is certainly different. It acts more like a "blanket" over the whole spectrum, which leads me to believe it might be stylus/groove related rather than cutterhead health.
Are you noticing changing depth in the scope?
Maybe you have slightly worn spots in the feedscrew that are causing too much depth?
Either that or the springs in the dashpot are not functioning properly?

best of luck with it
No noticeable depth changes. also it happens for an entire cut, then disappears and back to normal. For example say i have a run of 30 on the lathe, one of the cuts might have this sound over the entire cut, but the rest won't and will be totally normal.

It's rare and doesn't happen too often luckily, but want to get to the bottom of it. Maybe it is stylus in this case and just needs to be cleaned more often? We shall see!