VR extra Play in cutterhead/vacuum....

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

David34

VR extra Play in cutterhead/vacuum....

Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:20 pm

Hello guys..

Just noticed this bit of play in the VR Cutterhead (see video) .

I wind on the groove until a certain point, then the extra play inside the (groove speed tube? ) drops the cutterhead down, like a step down.

I then noticed there is some play in the (groove speed tube??) when I hold the cutterhead and move it back and forwards (see video)

This is not affecting vinyl cutting, but I just wanted to check its normal and not worn out bushes inside the spiral (groove speed tube? )

Sorry I don't know the names of all the parts haha!!

Appreciate your help Trolls!!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/AgqS6N8KdNs

David34

Re: VR extra Play in cutterhead/vacuum....

Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:22 pm

Just thought I would mention that I shortened my vacuum tube. Maybe this is a possibility that the extra tension is doing this? ?

Might get some flexible tubing for this, not sure that the rigid tubing from Souri is a great choice.

what are others using?

Many thanks!

Govinyl

Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:36 am

The Video is set as "private" and cannot be seen. Or is the problem solved and you took it down?

// T

David34

Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:01 pm

Oh dear!! I’ll change settings! Sorry!

boryo

Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:05 pm

I think all VRs are like that. Probably your head will also move a bit left and right if you push it with your hand.

David34

Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:35 pm

Correct! Phewww! That’s good.

I’m going to change the rigid vacuum tube for Flexi tube. I think this will take pressure off it!

tragwag

Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:01 pm

yeah they all do that. though the nylon threaded nut (halfnut? wholenut?) connecting the carriage to the feedscrew is permanently attached.
vertical play is fine, but if you have left to right play or delays while using the handcrank, you'll need to tighten the tiny allen head screws that fix the nylon nut to the cutter carriage. this happened to me, the nut was still attached but very loose so the handcrank took a while to engage the carriage in the cutting direction.
eventually the allen head screws fell out (alerting me to their existence) and I put them back in.

handcut has a great thread on the assembly of the VR overhead:
https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8894
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

boryo

Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:50 pm

tragwag wrote:
yeah they all do that. though the nylon threaded nut (halfnut? wholenut?) connecting the carriage to the feedscrew is permanently attached.
vertical play is fine, but if you have left to right play or delays while using the handcrank, you'll need to tighten the tiny allen head screws that fix the nylon nut to the cutter carriage. this happened to me, the nut was still attached but very loose so the handcrank took a while to engage the carriage in the cutting direction.
eventually the allen head screws fell out (alerting me to their existence) and I put them back in.

sometimes on my machine when i drop the head for lead-in but before rotating the black wheel it feels like the diamond digs in the same groove for at least 1 revolution. could it be what you describe? my whole carriage moves left and right like 1-2 mm when i'm pushing it. maybe it's a good idea to ask 'the man' himself... thanks!

David34

Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:30 am

Thanks for the advice,

I have given up with Souri advice.

tragwag

Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:53 pm

boryo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:50 pm
tragwag wrote:

sometimes on my machine when i drop the head for lead-in but before rotating the black wheel it feels like the diamond digs in the same groove for at least 1 revolution. could it be what you describe? my whole carriage moves left and right like 1-2 mm when i'm pushing it. maybe it's a good idea to ask 'the man' himself... thanks!
sounds similar to the problem I had yeah, I would have to manually wind the overhead to get the carriage to contact the halfnut.
there are screws in there to tighten, then you won't have this problem.
but be careful, they're very thin in the middle.
I wish I took better documentation last time I was fixing stuff in there, but my hair was on fire, you know!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

mushroomjesus

Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:38 am

I use a latex tube. This solved that problem
for me. I also moved the chip jar to under my desk to prevent vibration of vacuum.

Latex tube will not push or pull.

Latex tube can be pinched so be aware of that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.