Neumann cutterhead mount on Caruso

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ilovedrums247

Neumann cutterhead mount on Caruso

Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:31 pm

I'm wondering how others have adapted their Neumann SX mount to fit the bracket on the back of the Caruso?

For reference, i got my Neumann mount off ebay "rarevintageparts" and cutterhead direct from Flokason.

What's really driving me the crazy, is i could have sworn i put them together as soon i got them and everything was fine.

But now there is a large gap between the screws on the mount and the bracket on back of cutterhead. :shock:

leemichael

Re: Neumann cutterhead mount on Caruso

Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:44 pm

You got the Neumann mount from me.

Stick a photo up of the back of the Caruso.

There should be a thin strip of metal for the mount to bite into using the 3 tiny grub screws on the side of the mount.

dubcutter89

Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:55 am

But now there is a large gap between the screws on the mount and the bracket on back of cutterhead. :shock:
I guess there's not really a difference between small gap and large gap, because in the end it is always just the grub screws pressing against the bar for clamping action.
So unless you have a really huge gap (with screws bending or already acting as tiny resonator springs) everything should be fine.

L
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

ilovedrums247

Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:34 pm

@dubcutter89 unfortunately the set screws don't go deep enough to hold it in place

@leemichael its wonderfully made. I don't own a neumann so i don't know if its 10mm or 8mm, but my caruso was 8mm.

..i ended up machining a replica out of aluminium with an 8mm gap and it works fine. Ill upload pictures after
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ilovedrums247

Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:41 pm

My first time milling out a channel like this with some modest proxxon power tools. Very enjoyable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leemichael

Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:42 am

Cool, not sure why your Caruso has a thinner strip but good job. You reusing the circular part of my original mount?

ilovedrums247

Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:35 am

@leemichael yea it’s a mystery to me, but maybe others know why…

I used a piece of 16mm aluminum round bar for the circular part, but finding the center and drilling it was very difficult. So I’m going to try again and hopefully with more success.

Any tips for marking the exact center of a circle?

flozki

Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:31 am

the original target lathe of caruso head back in the day was not a neumann. more for simpler smaller lathes often with less space.
so i made a 8mm bar not 10mm . but its hold by 3 standard M3 screws. so take a little longer screws and it does not matter if its 8 or 10mm bar.

if you want a 18mm round piece. we still have them on stock. but that is also only for neumann boxes.
otherwise print one or better use a standard lathe to make it and to make it perfectly centered.

happy cutting.
f.

farmersplow

Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:34 am

ilovedrums247 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:35 am
Any tips for marking the exact center of a circle?
I'm not a professional (like Flo), but even if you don't hit the centre point 100% accurately, it doesn't really matter, as you're only accurate to 0.2mm at best with the screwed mount. But if you want to be really precise, then clamp the bolt in your Proxxon milling machine, feel the outer positions with the milling head and then set it in the centre. Then mill the hole.
If you only have a small Proxxon (max. 3mm) then mill the position point 1-2mm and then drill the hole in the pillar drill (because the hole should already be parallel).

ilovedrums247

Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:21 pm

@flozki thanks for clarifying, will look into rigging a more traditional lathe..

@farmersplow i'm using the IBS/E on a drill press with an x/y table, so a tolerance of 0.2mm would be considered an act of divine intervention : )