Still possible to get a VR in 2024

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Big Al

Still possible to get a VR in 2024

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:35 am

Hello trolls

Is it still possible to get a VR from Souri these days?
I sent a couple of emails but no reply as yet.
I heard that it’s a challenge to get one from him, is there any advice from people on here who have successfully got one they could share to help in my quest?

Also is it true that he won’t service a second hand one if you aren’t the original owner? If this is the case then I guess he also wouldn’t offer any resharpening for styli unless you were the original owner?

Thanks!

boryo

Re: Still possible to get a VR in 2024

Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:45 am

I got mine in 2023. He doesn't service second hand machines but there is enough info in the forum to fix it. I would say there are 2 critical components - overhead motor and cutting head. For the motor there is info in the forum, for the head - there are enough people who make heads nowadays. So, if you are wondering should you get second hand machine - get it if you have the chance. Maybe Souri will reply you one day with email 'this is your date'. In this case you can get one from him and sell the other one. For resharpening and blanks you can use myshank, so you have it all.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Bob

Discomo

Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:53 am

I would suggest being patient. I’ve connected with him many years ago and after one or two months he gave a date for a workshop at his studio in South Germany. These two days were crucial and gave me a good start. At the end of the workshop we could buy the VR. NB: don’t bugger him with emails, it’s no use and you may never hear from him again. You can accept this, or not. But this is simply how it is.
NB: as a starter I would never buy second hand. Unless perhaps the seller gives you a two day workshop, which I doubt will happen.

Big Al

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:23 pm

Thanks for your replys, guess its just a waiting game!

papawise

Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:25 pm

Hi!
the same here...
We talked a couple of years ago, and now that I can travel to finally make a deal I never heard from him again :(

Sylvere

Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:54 am

being patient...

Radardoug

Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:55 pm

Souri might be a bright man, but he is a useless communicator. This issue has come up before. Souri, if you take on customers or want to sell stuff, YOU NEED TO TALK TO THEM!!!

Discomo

Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:47 am

@radardoug Maybe he’s not waiting for new customers? The man wants to run his business the way he wants to. Unconventional, yes. But he’s loyal as well. I had a technical problem after many years. He repaired it without charging me anything. That’s also something normal companies don’t do! Simply accept his way or don’t deal with him.

papawise

Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:27 am

Discomo wrote:
@radardoug Maybe he’s not waiting for new customers? The man wants to run his business the way he wants to. Unconventional, yes. But he’s loyal as well. I had a technical problem after many years. He repaired it without charging me anything. That’s also something normal companies don’t do! Simply accept his way or don’t deal with him.
I'm affraid I agree with you, even when I'm disadvantaged by that.

I would like if you can tell me (it will probably be useful for the rest too) what's your feedback about the machine today in 2024.
It does exists another accesible option out there today? is the VR still the chepeast and best quality option to cut blanks? :?:

boryo

Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:04 pm

papawise wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:27 am
Discomo wrote:
I'm affraid I agree with you, even when I'm disadvantaged by that.

I would like if you can tell me (it will probably be useful for the rest too) what's your feedback about the machine today in 2024.
It does exists another accesible option out there today? is the VR still the chepeast and best quality option to cut blanks? :?:
I played my records in big clubs with good sound systems and I was surprised how good they sounded. I'm not audiophile or mastering engineer, so don't believe me 100%. I just play the audio and drop the head and I like how it sounds after that. About the price... don't be fooled by the 3200 EUR price. You have to go there and almost for sure you buy some additional stuff so depending on where you are it might get more expensive. I don't believe that buying an good old machine and put stereo head on it will be cheaper than VR so maybe this is the best price/quality option at the moment.

PMST

Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:50 pm

My friend got accepted for a VR today, so he is still making them, so as long as you made a well worded email which was less than a sentence in length, you might be ok!

papawise

Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:08 pm

boryo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:04 pm
I played my records in big clubs with good sound systems and I was surprised how good they sounded. I'm not audiophile or mastering engineer, so don't believe me 100%. I just play the audio and drop the head and I like how it sounds after that. About the price... don't be fooled by the 3200 EUR price. You have to go there and almost for sure you buy some additional stuff so depending on where you are it might get more expensive. I don't believe that buying an good old machine and put stereo head on it will be cheaper than VR so maybe this is the best price/quality option at the moment.
thanks Boryo for your insight.
I certainly estimated 10K for the T560 combo, including travel, shipping, taxes, initial blanks, accesories, etc

How long it took to you to cut decent quality blanks?