Record sizes and their RIAA limits

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

themagician

Record sizes and their RIAA limits

Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:45 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of calibrating my lathe and I've needed to create these templates to understand where the limits are to program in.
I leveraged AI and python to write the script, alter to suit if you need, although you should not need to, as this is based on the 1964 RIAA standard.

The circles from outer to inner on all sizes represent:
The outer diameter, first modulated groove, inner most modulated groove, locked groove, label area, spindle circle (there is probably a better term for this last one).

You can alter the bottom of the script if you are after different diameters.

RonnieD

p.s.
The form doesn't allow python files. I've renamed it as a text file. If you want to run the python file, you need to rename it to: "record_circles.py"
If you do want custom sizes and you're having issues with the script, just send me the sizes and I can do it quickly. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

boryo

Re: Record sizes and their RIAA limits

Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:48 am

I would suggest to add it to a github repo so we can contribute. I'm not sure what is the intention of this script but I saw the pdfs and there could be some improvements, so I think github is the way to go. What lathe do you have?