Souri's "vinylrecorder" machine

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:19 am

I think Steve is pulling your leg!! There is no way you could into a copper DMM blank with such a system.

Apart from the technical points raised here, ther was some mention some time ago that Souri would not sell blanks to people who had bought his machine. Can anyone who has been refused after-sales service comment on this? If this is true, this is a great concern.

bancho

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:11 am

hm, I was kinda ironic...

MEGAMIKE

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:08 am

blanks go with the machine and the dimond goes for the blanks.simple. thats why blanks are always on supply and dimonds ,the 2 machines that are running in australia me in perth and dan in pimple are very happy with his services and have no problem.
ttttttttttttTSHHHHtttttttttttTSHHHHH BOOMMM TSHHHH BOOMMMTISHHHH BOOMMM TISHHH BOOMMMM TISH SH (my 808 through my vinylrecorder) 8)

TotalSonic

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:16 am

Aussie0zborn wrote:I think Steve is pulling your leg!! There is no way you could into a copper DMM blank with such a system.
I actually wasn't pulling anyone's leg - just thinking out loud as to how someone could actually do a lo-fi diy DMM. Thinking about it your right in that there really isn't a way except reverse engineering the VMS-82 - which would probably be a project that took millions of cash rather than thousands.

First - it's possible the diamond stylus stock on even the stock Souri could cut into the copper (although again this is unknown). But the chip breaks very easily and the blank gets ruined when this happens - which is why the DMM lathe had a pretty complex variable suction system for the chip. So first problem to conquer.

And the weight of the blank is huge compared to a piece of pvc so you have to use a real precision platter that has vacuum lock down for the blank and that is driven by an extremely strong motor - and you need good isolation for this so you don't get rumble or resonance. So second huge thing to conquer.

It would indeed be fun to see some insane and enterprising person come out with a "copper recorder" though. :wink:

Best regards,
Steve Berson

tightbottom

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Gentlemen. Good afternoon & sorry for the delay. It took some time finding graphs and WAV files !!.

We spend a lot of time “comparing” with original master, and “tweaking” the system.
As a result, our snare’s are tchac tchac tchac, and definitely not toc toc toc !!.
We are great believers in getting the most (even the impossible) from a system !! and make a living generally in "optimising" audio.

One more thing, comparing “Vinylrecorder” and “Kingston”
The Kingston is pretty much an “optimised” system. The Vinylrecorder is not “optimised” by virtue that the owner / operator has complete choice over cutter amplifier. This is potentially a very fundamental difference between the 2 machines.
To really, fairly, compare the 2, the Vinylrecorder must be “optimised” with accurate pre-set cutterhead / amplifier combination eq (like the Kingston has the benefit of). And, same blanks and stylus materials used for cut, AND similar playback stylus used for play back. We are on the point of making a “standard” here !!!!!

I have loaded graphs and WAVE files on www.criminalrecords.eu.com/lathetrolls.html
They show our cutter head eq method (and importance (tchac tchac - toc toc ))

In any event, of course, a multi thousand Euro Neumann (or similar - should anything actually be similar !) lathe should produce better quality. I say “should” - like it or not, manufacturing materials and methods have improved over the years, and the quality difference is likely to be less in these “modern” times. I can buy a line pre amp today for 35 Euro, with a flat frequency response from 10Hz to 65KHz. Even if you could get one 20 years ago, it would have cost a fortune.

And, in any event, I stand by my view, that a properly set up Vinylrecorder will produce good results for the cost.

We also believe in the “sound” of vinyl, and while we would not accept “toc toc toc” from a snare drum, we are happy for the medium to “show it’s character” - specially if we can “engineer” it to sound sexy, and be musically involving. Music, is after all “art”. It comes from the heart and soul . We are happy to lose some pure technical accuracy (only to a point !) in favour of a sound that has an emotionally rich character (as long as it's a subjectively musical improvement).

ANY VIEWS ON THE “S” AT -12dB ?????
(Bottom of www.criminalrecords.eu.com/lathetrolls.html)

Cheers all.

Internet

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:14 am

tightbottom wrote:
And, in any event, I stand by my view, that a properly set up Vinylrecorder will produce good results for the cost.

Cheers all.
Definitely

MEGAMIKE

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:18 am

TRRRAAttttttttttttttttttttttTISHHHHBOOMTSHHHHttttttttttttttttBOOMBOOM TISHH KRRRRRRTTTTAAAAAT BBOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM TISHHHHHHHHHHH.KAKAKA BBOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM.... :lol:

Internet

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:11 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:TRRRAAttttttttttttttttttttttTISHHHHBOOMTSHHHHttttttttttttttttBOOMBOOM TISHH KRRRRRRTTTTAAAAAT BBOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM TISHHHHHHHHHHH.KAKAKA BBOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM.... :lol:
lol

motorino

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Please, in this forum comments and expressions of this kind are misplaced, are typical of a teen forum, we are here to discuss how adults.

The vinylrecorder is the most cheaper to record that exists in the entire market, and its quality is under-commensurate with its price.

But the small difference in money with kingston (kingston is a complete system that does not need anything else, vinylrecorder needs some things more to cut) converts the results greatly, the difference between working with a home or a professional, this is so.

Someone has worked with the 2 systems? I have not worked with the two systems, i have worked with all three systems, the Vestax, the worst of the three and the more expensive! My pocket is well aware.

I do not earn money with this i tell them my experience

Spent 40 bucks to ask a cut to vinylium and end your doubts
Do not purchase without having heard him before___ what I have learned very well

jacques artifex

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:46 am

The real problem than you have with the vinylrecorder, its just because Souri don't want to sell blanks and styluses (in this case they are the best in the market) to other cutters.
In cut we trust

MEGAMIKE

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:56 am

(kingston is a complete system that does not need anything else, vinylrecorder needs some things more to cut)???????????????????????????????WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS? please explain??

did you get a chip removal tube with youre kingston(vacum)....??
did you get 900 blanks and 4 dimonds when you purchased the machine ....??
do they supply you with blanks ...??..
we can compare all we want but we are not all together to compare.. :)

motorino

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:14 pm

Please, seems you're screaming

Where is the amplifier in the vinylrecorder? All cutterheads needs a amplifier matched-tuning to... this is a minus point

Kingston have a built in amp matched by expert hands
:wink:

Sorry, I do not want to discuss with anyone

Dub Studio

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:03 am

Tightbottom - welcome to the world of the Lathetrolls ;) Nice first post.

The first rule of Lathetrolls is: you can't mention the vinylrecorder without someone banging on about the dubcutter

The second rule of Lathetrolls is: you can't mention the dubcutter without someone banging on about the vinylrecorder

The third rule of Lathetrolls is: if someone yells "stop!", goes limp, or taps out, stop talking about lathes

Fourth rule: the forum is bare knuckle. No shirt, no shoes, no weapons.

Fifth rule: if its someone's first time on the lathe trolls, show some flipping respect and welcome them to the forum.

:shock:

Osmose

Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Dub Studio wrote:Tightbottom - welcome to the world of the Lathetrolls ;) Nice first post.

:shock:
You're Henry right? If so, we've spoke before outside of here. When's some more Heatwave coming to the US??

On Topic
I've had a dub cut on a vinylium and it sounded awesome. It cost more than $40 bucks thou...I think without shipping it was more like $120 USA after conversions from Swiss Francs. I would have gladly purchased the machine based off what I heard on my dub, but communication with vinylium was very rough. It took 4 weeks just to get the process of them cutting the dub going, then they changed the price....then they only cut on one side (when org direction asked for both sides). All in all even thou the end result was really nice I couldn't see spending that $$$ with a company that was difficult to communicate with, couldn't follow directions and changed the price on me. It also left me thinking that support would be a similar issue! A bad way to run a business. I understand the 4 folks @ vinylium have other gigs, but that really shouldn't be your customer's problem.

I'm looking deeper into the vinyl recorder now. This thread has been very helpful!

Bratwurst

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:04 pm

I've posted before about my vinylrecorder and got crapped all over by some for sharing my personal experience, but no mind, I'll try again as I think it's valueable to give honest consumer reports.

I bought mine second-hand. Thus, Souri will not sell anything to me and would not give me any advice on maintenance or anything. Zip. Customer service: zero. Capital "Z" Zero. OK fine.

So, after some research and forum work, I did my repairs and with the help of some wonderful people here got it running with Vinylium stylus and did some tests.
I have a flat response in my signal path up to the cutting head. Here's where the disclaimer fits in: It is second-hand, so take it with a grain of salt.
The noise tests revealed the famous loss in the high-end and overall "messy" reproduction. Cutting music and test-tones is a chore and requires blood sweat and tears to get a "faithful" cut, but you _can_ muscle nice hats and snare out of it! Lots of resonances to finesse. After the tweaking, I do think it sounds good though. I'm pleased with the sound. DJ's and punkers delight.
Sorry, I didn't get any screenshots of my spectrum tests, it was a while ago. Minus points for me.
This is fun as a fixer-upper and a challenge. As a first lathe I'm having tons of fun (and frustration!) with it, but would not recommend it to serious cutters, as I believe that once set-up, one should not have to fight the tool to behave.
Vinylium, on the other hand was very friendly to work with and I don't even own one of their machines. They suffer the infamous communication problem, but they follow-through at least. I have not heard any complaints about their machine, not so with the Vinylrecorder.

Again, it's second-hand and My Own Opinion, so you Protectors of Vinylrecorder can hold your peace please.

Blue_Note

Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi Trolls
Does anybody know what happend to the man Souri? I wanted to buy a VR. Got me writting him since March 4 or 5 times, and always i get this same very short reply:

"at moment, too less requests for the machine.
if there will be more requests, we will make a serie again maybe. we'll keep you informed"

Does anybody know somthing more? Could it really be that he stops producing?
WHILE YOUR HAVING THE GREATEST TIME DOWNLOADING MY MUSIC.....
Your freeki girlfriend is playing with my 12 inches