Peter King Records

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

so still dog

Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:24 am

When I get stuff made by him, I'm going to do a bank draft note or something along those lines so I don't have to risk losing cash in the mail

Jccc

Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:31 am

I finally got my records in today!! I really got scared for a moment and thought the post office lost my shipment to him.
They look and sound pretty good.

I guess you just gotta be really patient when ordering form Peter especially when your from the states!

Somepoe

Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:19 am

Gotta hype Peter King!

I ordered 20 pcs of 7"s and they arrived today. It took about three weeks from New Zealand to Finland.

They sound pretty good, better than I expected.

Big up Peter King!

Peace,
Somepoe

andrea

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi guys,

This Peter King stuff looks very interesting.
I'm planning to do a limited run too, and would have like to have some advices from you.
  • -Do I need to send him the labels already printed as a master? how Peter works those labels prints? I've read that he got no computer at all...

-Is the record absolutely mono or could i expect some stereo in?

-Does the guy tweak a little bit to prepare the material (master CD) for cutting or should I send a super professional master audio?
    (I know the big theory about mastering for vinyl, phase, highs, low cut, high cut, etc...but just need to know if he's gonna control something or not).

-Does he need to get paid cash only? Is bank transfert possible?
    I'm just afraid with my post service... It's absolutely forbiden to send cash by post.

-About the sound, is it horrible or good enough?

-Where can I find the form for Mechanical Copyright? (should I use my country association as if I was goin to press in my country? or should I use a specific form for NZ?)

-What should I be aware of concerning that kinf of runs?
I'm planning to make a serie for acoustic music, but also for more electronic stuff... It is suitable?
Sorry for all these questions, I'm just glad I've found this forum on the web!
Thanks.

Andrea.

Aussie0zborn

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:03 pm

Peter sent me one of his direct cut PVC records as a sample. It was a cut of a number one international hit at the time (by a black or white artist who died a month ago) and it was OK. I'm pretty sure it was in mono. Im not so sure this would be suitable for acoustic music. You can see Peter in action on YouTube.

Why don't you contact Megamike or Dr Dub right here in the forum? You can buy stick-on record labels and print them on your printer at home and then stick them on yourself. Another service like this is Custom Records in the USA but I would recommend you do business with the Lathe Trolls listed above as their passion for disc cutting will give you a better experience.

Mechanical Copyright Form??? Just use the same one you use when you burn CDs that you have borrowed from your friends - that one should do nicely.
Last edited by Aussie0zborn on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MEGAMIKE

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:55 am

thanks ozzy
we cut anybody small runs on poly pm me and i can send u a test copy..
peter has a good rep and yes the ones we got were in stereo.. :D

andrea

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:10 pm

ok, well... If anybody got any info to share about Peter King regarding those specific point previously mentioned, let me know. It will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

(Beside this, if some of you can do some limited runs as peter does then feel free to contact me offlist with your rates...)

Peter requests the mechanical form, as running a label, I think I have to send this form... Well, it's what I did in the past for all our previous releases... The question is: where could I find the one he refers to? Could I use my country one?

MEGAMIKE

Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:36 am

hi andrea every country has one go to youre local broadcaster and they will help you (disclaimer) is this what you mean.. :D

andrea

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Actually, I'm living in France.
I know where to find the manufactureing form in my country, no troubles for that.
I even get some records made in the USA, but then...The plant needed us to fill a specific form... And they didn't asked anything related to my country.
That's why i was wondering about the form Peter King requests.
Anyway, I'll try to give him a call within few days.

30 copies of a 12" would cost us $530NZ... delivered here in France.
Sounds interesting to give it a shot.

decoder

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:03 pm

I have ordered a few records from Peter King. He is a straight up guy as most kiwis tend to be. On one occasion the cash I sent went missing in the post but he still supplied the records. Cant ask for more than that

destro

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Peter has done 3 records for me and I was pleased with them all.

One of the nicest guys I've ever talked with. He really went above and beyond in answering my questions and helping me out.

Andrea: I'd call and talk to him. He'll give better answers than I can. But I'll attempt to give you a little more info.

-Do I need to send him the labels already printed as a master? how Peter works those labels prints? I've read that he got no computer at all... Don't know, I just had him use plain white labels and stamped them myhself. But since I don't think he uses a computer, I'd assume you'd have to send him a hard copy of the labels.

-Is the record absolutely mono or could i expect some stereo in? Mine all came mono.

-Does the guy tweak a little bit to prepare the material (master CD) for cutting or should I send a super professional master audio?
(I know the big theory about mastering for vinyl, phase, highs, low cut, high cut, etc...but just need to know if he's gonna control something or not).

I don't believe he does any of that, but this is one where you'd really need to ask him.

-Does he need to get paid cash only? Is bank transfert possible?
I'm just afraid with my post service... It's absolutely forbiden to send cash by post.

I paid by international bank draft. That is the best way to go I think.

-About the sound, is it horrible or good enough? Depends on your standards. I consider it good enough. Don't expect pressing plant quality.

Also the records differ. Some are a bit louder, some a bit more trebly, etc.. I think that is kind of cool, but I can see how some people might hate it.

-Where can I find the form for Mechanical Copyright? (should I use my country association as if I was goin to press in my country? or should I use a specific form for NZ?) Have no idea on this one.

piaptk

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:04 pm

The last run of records I just got in from him sounded awesome. and were pretty consistent (at least for the ones I tested). This has been continually improving over the last five years. They were pretty hit or miss and mediocre sounding five years ago, but recently they have been sounding great...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com