Lathe Trolls Wiki

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

waynelectro

Lathe Trolls Wiki

Wed May 27, 2009 4:37 pm

I thought it would be great to have a lathe trolls wiki (like wikipedia).
That way we could start to organize this incredible body being posted to the site. We could pool together all the pictures, manuals, experiences, advice, and info about different processes, presses, lathes, cutting heads, cutters, etc.
Is anyone else interested in something like that?
Does anybody know how we set something like that up?

mossboss

Wiki

Sun May 31, 2009 8:43 am

What's a wiki page? Is it like wikipedea?

waynelectro

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:06 pm

Yep. It could be like an encyclopedia of lathe knowledge.

PALOMINO

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm

I'm pretty fond of this forum's SEARCH button myself!

piaptk

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:12 pm

PALOMINO wrote:I'm pretty fond of this forum's SEARCH button myself!
I have a really hard time finding what I need with the search button. Even using boolean searching techniques. Possibly because I'm a noob and don't know a lot of the tech jargon or terminology.

A Wiki would be really cool and allow you to organize things by topic much more easily. Then everyone can add info as they get it.

MEGAMIKE

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:01 am

like this site? :)

lou2ser

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:39 pm

I spent an hour this afternoon putting this together. It's still very early in the process but I thought it would help out newbies (like myself) get a grasp of what's going on in this forum.

http://lathetrolls.pbworks.com/

Accounts are free to create over there and once you're a member you can edit any page to include the most up to date information.

I know most people here are big fans of the forum but I think having a central repository of information will be beneficial to everyone.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Well, I am not totally sure I "get" it yet, but I am all for it!! it certainly looks like it could be helpful in wading through things. Sort of an interactive FAQ?

lou2ser

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Steve E. wrote:Well, I am not totally sure I "get" it yet, but I am all for it!! it certainly looks like it could be helpful in wading through things. Sort of an interactive FAQ?
Wikis are helpful for presenting information in a hopefully "easy to digest" format. The longterm goal is to make it easier for someone who has no idea what a lathe is and how they work ask informed questions.

Even if it never catches on I've taught myself a lot by putting together the building blocks of the wiki.

piaptk

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:55 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:like this site? :)
The difference would be that a wiki is more organized, and everything only has to appear once, Just like wikipedia. People slowly add to it... Unlike here, where the same questions get asked/answered multiple times.

Continue the back and forth conversation here, and place the succinct, core information over there...

Here, a 10 page thread that starts out with something totally unspecific like "HELP!" might contain information about 20 different subjects. But, if you search for one of those subjects, even if the "HELP!" thread show up, you have no idea what is in there, and it's one of 100 other threads.

The search function on phpbb boards is pretty wonky if you ask me, because it won't let you search for combined phrases using quotation marks or boolean strings. So, if you search for "advance ball" it gives you any thread that uses either "advance" or "ball". And threads that have the phrase "having a ball" or "paying in advance" don't help you in your search.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 pm

Well, again, I am all for it!

I'm not sure I'd recommend hosting it on the phpbb site....this site is creepy and at times I think about moving it somewhere else.

andybee

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 am

WOW! :shock: nice!
big up!