About chip suction

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

motorino

About chip suction

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:47 pm

A good article

Image[/URL
[URL=http://img261.imageshack.us/i/sinttulo4g.jpg/]Image

I change my chip suction system, now lateral

mossboss

Chip Removal

Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:34 pm

Carlos Good one Thanks Is there more to this? If so can you point us to the source please
Just to add a bit of info Saphire and ruby is used due to them not generating static which is another problem with this
Diamond being carbon generates static therefore it is a lot harder to remove the chip if at all There was diamond cutting stylii produced in Japan which where earthed The cutting face had a metal based coating added to it with a rather intricate process metalised on in vacuum before the final finish
The suction on this stylus was recomended to be at the advancing point of the cutter
Similar noise levels where quoted for this Japanese invention but the price was very high since it lasted for ever according to them The did say after 500 hours of cutting they would resharpen it for a fee as well as replace the heater on it I have seen one but never used any
Cheers

aaron

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:21 am

What is it that you guys use for generating suction? Vacuum cleaner? I have a shop vac that I was thinking of rigging up for suction, not sure if that would be bad for it or not....

subkontrabob

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:47 am

what is the source? Is it a book? Looks like it is part of a longer text.

Very interesting read! :D

opcode66

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:44 pm

The source is the Disc Recording Vol. 1 - Groove Geometry and the Recoding process. It can be purchased here http://www.aes.org/publications/anthologies/ for $35.

You are not supposed to be posting scans from this book. It is copyrighted. It is easily available. You should be supporting the AES!!!!!

At least you didn't post a scan of the entire book....

Anyone interested in disc recording should be able to caugh up the $40 for the book and shipping. For crying out loud, we invest heavily in the gear, the least we can do is purchase the learning material.

Aussie0zborn

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:06 pm

aaron wrote:What is it that you guys use for generating suction? Vacuum cleaner? I have a shop vac that I was thinking of rigging up for suction, not sure if that would be bad for it or not....
Aaron, a domestic vacuum cleaner is fine. You might want to the ability to vary the sucton though. This has been discussed here before so a quick search might reveal ways of doing that.