dull recording

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

folk

dull recording

Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:02 pm

We've finally got our Rekokut up and running with a nice looking audex head and a good saphire. Everything appears to be running smoothly. After cutting multiple test cuts we run into the positive aspects of: clean cut, shavings moving neatly toward center of platter, very low noise.
Unfortunately we have the following negative aspects that we'll need to remedy: low levels and very dull treble.
I believe we are fairly peaked in our recording - the meter is to the max before overloading (when cutting with that approach we do get our best/loudest recording without overcutting) but the recording itself is still low and the treble is dull. The bass sounds great.
We do need a pre-EQ but I don't believe this will solve our problem as our meter is peaked anyway and I doubt we can boost any more without overcutting.

Is the problem the amp?

or is the problem the cutter head?

anyone?

markrob

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi,

What are you driving the head with? Does it supply the proper RIAA EQ for the head? What is the power output of the amp? Is the amp output impedance matched to the head? How much lower in level is the recording compared to commercial releases from the 1950's?

Mark

cuttercollector

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:14 pm

I suggest recording some more interesting content :)
But seriously, there is dull as in wrong eq and dull as in the head doesn't go out very far in frequency. My Rek-O-Kut head was able to produce recordings that sounded natural if not extended in response with actual measured reasonable response to about 7-8K and rolling off in a non-peaky way above that. Not with any real level to speak of however. Better than AM radio but not as good as FM. They had various qualities of heads. Even the best ones were probably good for 10-12K more or less. See previous reply, but all kinds of things from impedance matching to amp record eq to condition of the head magnets and damping will all affect these things.