Casting records?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cementimental

Casting records?

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:03 pm

Would this remotely work I wonder? -
* Cut record with very deep grooves into a very soft material (you could even use material too soft to play back durably, ie wax, plasticine etc)
* Make silicon/latex mold of the resulting record
* Cast multiple copies in resin

I imagine you'd loose a lot (or possibly all!?) of the sound quality, but could make some interesting artifacts this way! I'm imagining thick clear resin disks with encapsulated objects etc! :)

From the little moldmaking I have done I think silicone would pick up enough detail to more or less work. Not sure what if any types of resin would be durable enough though...?

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:03 pm

Does silicon/latex harden enough to make any sort of a stamp?

And when I hear "resin" I think "tree sap" or bugs in amber...or is that rosin? and I think of it as brittle but sticky. I'd think that would zap a needle if you tried to play it, but I agree that it could look good.

This is a good topic! I'd love to stamp records but it seems so out of my league.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:31 pm

Latex and silicone both make very soft molds which can capture very fine detail ( but maybe not fine enough for this?)

When I say resin, I mean 2-part apoxy resins such as the clear stuff you make paperweights out of... you mix it as a liquid, when it sets it's very hard, basically like hard plastic. It might be too brittle, tho there are various sorts including stuff with aluminium powder in it which sets into a very strong metal/plastic stuff!

My idea was to make the rubber mold of the record and pour resin into it to make the records.

I may try this one day, even if just trying to copy an existing 7" by way of a test to see if it's remotely feasible.

bubbles could be a big problem! But could be avoided by things like vibrating the mold, as professional modelmakers do...

cementimental

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:57 pm

that was me by the way...

motorino

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:54 pm

try axon epoxy silicones, the best

need a vibration chair (with infrared light (maybe blue..(odont)) ) for slow hardened ( dont move on the grooves...)

and enjoy :D

motorino

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:56 pm

axon support high kilos/centimeter and 800 centigrades temperature if hardened ok

drscience

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:57 am

This does work. I've seen an article about it (in Make I believe) and I remember previously I saw a manufacturer of resins and other molding materials advertising that one of their users was doing this and had made a small business from it.

I would think that you would lose some quality from this, but I would think that you would still be able to make a reasonably good duplication.

vinylrecorder

Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:42 pm

You can also do it with choclate. I know it sounds silly but if you keep it cold you can get one play and then eat it.