wilcox-gay recordio info needed

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

recordio

wilcox-gay recordio info needed

Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi, I am a new member here & don't know much about these cutters. I have a couple of questions about a Wilcox-Gay Recordio if anyone can help me. I have an old lady friend who has a Wilcox-Gay Recordio console that her husband used back in the 1940's-1950's to record his music (he was a small-time band leader in Chicago), & she would like to sell it, & I am trying to help her. Apparently they even used it into recent times because they have other equipment attached to it from the 70's & 80's & it's still in the living room. It is a fairly large piece of wood furniture with a built-in turntable & a radio in the front that pulls out. I am trying to figure out what the model is & what the value might be if I sell it for her. I have pictures if anyone is interested in taking a look at it.
Thanks, & any help would be greatly appreciated!
Patti

Internet

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:16 pm

buy a vinylrecorder! the best cutter ever know!

tsullivan

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Ebay will probably be your best bet, although if you have antique auctions in your area, you might want to try that first. These home type cutters from the 40's generally don't bring a whole lot, and if it needs to be shipped, the shipping will easily outstrip the value of the item being sold. I am going through that right now. I bought a nice 1948 RCA radio/phonograph console. Its in Missouri, I am in Ohio. Its going to cost me about $400 to have it shipped to me via Craters and Freighters. I only paid $80 for the console.

Tom

recordio

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the info. I will probably put it on Ebay as I am in a small town with no big auctions. I know it will be expensive to ship - how is yours being shipped?
Thanks!
:D Patti