about microscopes........

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

subkontrabob

about microscopes........

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi folks,

as I'm preparing for my cutting project, I realized that I would really like to have a microscope for checking cutting styli and so on. In the "basic disk mastering" book it says, that the scopes mounted on cutting lathes have magnification ratios of around 200. Does this mean I would need a higher ratio to examine a cutting stylus in detail? How do you pros do that?

Looking around on ebay I noticed there are a lot of tiny usb microscopes with magnification of up to 200x. Does anyone have experience with these small buggers? They seem so tiny you could put them anywhere, for instance on the arm of the cutting lathe for cheap DIY style video monitoring of the groove, if you don't already own a VMS82. :lol:

Any ideas??

cheers,

Bob

markrob

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi,

I've been using a DCM130 USB microscope camera with good results. This fits in place of a standard microscope eyepiece, so you need the front end guts of a scope for a system of this type to work. The software that comes with it allows you to create overlays that can be used as a template for measuring. I've not had any experience with an all in one scope, but I suspect the optics are not so hot unless you spend money. Its easy to find a used scope with decent optics and interchangable objective lenses for almost any magnification. You can then adapt it to the lathe.

http://home.comcast.net/~markrob1066/pwpimages/Scope1.JPG

The one in my picture has two magnifications of 130 and 260 when viewed on my computer monitor at full resolution.

Mark

andybee

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:16 pm

yes, nice!
normally, it is recommend, to use 2 microscopes, one for the
lathe, and one for mounting the styli.
it is very important, to place styli in correct angle, to get
a perfect groove (the facets polish the groove).

cohearent

Stylus scope

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:18 am

I have a Neumann ZA 12/68B for sale. It is specifically for changing styli in the SX 68/74 heads and could be easily adapted for others. PM me.
Kevin Gray