Cutting my own records in my house?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

hanksmith

Cutting my own records in my house?

Mon May 03, 2010 4:44 am

hello I am wanting to build a record cutter either from a old turn table or something from scratch. I plan on using cds fore the medium, can any one tell me what needles people expierment with also how one puts speaker on needle to get it to vybrate? I am totally blind and have listened to youtube videos but have no way to see what is being used. one day I hope to design a product that I can cell cheap but this is way way in the future. I have allways wanted to record stuff to record myself. any help fore a newbe would be awesome. thanks Hank

cymbalism

Re: making my own recores in my house?

Mon May 03, 2010 11:37 am

hanksmith wrote:hello I am wanting to build a record cutter either from a old turn table or something from scratch. I plan on using cds fore the medium, can any one tell me what needles people expierment with also how one puts speaker on needle to get it to vybrate? I am totally blind and have listened to youtube videos but have no way to see what is being used. one day I hope to design a product that I can cell cheap but this is way way in the future. I have allways wanted to record stuff to record myself. any help fore a newbe would be awesome. thanks Hank
hey hank

honestly, you're better off finding an old lathe like a wilcox-gay or presto. making one is a huge hassle especially if you want to get good results.

there's a plethora of them from time to time on ebay and with the amount of time and grief you would having trying to make one up to par, you're better off just saying some pennies and buying one online.

best of luck with your project! i was trying to do the same thing then just said screw it and bought a 6N
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

piaptk

Mon May 03, 2010 8:20 pm

My friend did the same thing... I showed him those youtube videos and built one. It took a lot of experimenting, but he finally got a pretty good system worked out with a boom mic stand to slowly move the needle to the center of the record (by swiveling it). He used a denim needle, and bent it at a 45 degree angle for embossing.

If you do decide to buy an old cutter, make sure you get one that actually works... I spent hundreds of dollars and three years buying crappy, broken recorders thinking that I could fix them. Now, I moved on to a Presto 6n, and couldn't be happier that I am not dinking around with smaller cutters.

Good luck!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

hanksmith

Mon May 10, 2010 3:17 am

piaptk wrote:My friend did the same thing... I showed him those youtube videos and built one. It took a lot of experimenting, but he finally got a pretty good system worked out with a boom mic stand to slowly move the needle to the center of the record (by swiveling it). He used a denim needle, and bent it at a 45 degree angle for embossing.

If you do decide to buy an old cutter, make sure you get one that actually works... I spent hundreds of dollars and three years buying crappy, broken recorders thinking that I could fix them. Now, I moved on to a Presto 6n, and couldn't be happier that I am not dinking around with smaller cutters.

Good luck!
hello can you tell me what you purchased and how you did it? I am visually impaired I am unable to see the youtube videos. can you tell me what stuff you go to get your friends working? also can I hear some samples of your friends home made recorder? thanks Hank

Simon

Mon May 10, 2010 5:52 am

I have a REk O Kut for sale. in the sales section.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

hanksmith

Tue May 11, 2010 3:31 am

Simon wrote:I have a REk O Kut for sale. in the sales section.
hello how much are you asking fore it in us dollars? also where on the boards is the sales section? I am not seeing it not sure if its something with my screen reader or if things have moved thanks Hank

Simon

Tue May 11, 2010 7:16 am

It is on ebay.

check the link in the sales section.

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=1851&mforum=lathetrolls

I was using it - but have now upgraded.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.