Major Illegal Vinyl Plant Raided In Britain

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mossboss

Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:47 am

That would be Z Audio, No not them mate There was some rumblings about them but it was likely a mistake or some confusion about who was who rather than a deliberate act Cheers
Chris

fusionkid

Bootlegging

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:00 pm

I have had limited dealings with only two pressing plants one in the UK and one in the check republic, and they were both doing bootlegs for customers (and not just 1 or 2). Considering i am an industry "outsider" i would suggest that bootlegging is very common, i've got enough UK dance bootlegs and others to show this. Walk round the record shops in Soho the shopkeepers aren't shy. They actually mark "Bootleg" on the records.

mossboss

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Mate UK and Bootlegs are synonymous OK!!!
Now do not discount the Germans they are just as good/bad
In my view they should all be shut down and locked up
Throw the key away after that as these greedy bastards do not do any one any favours at all
Greedy selfish smart asses so far as I am concerned
Serves them right that the powers to be are on to them and burn them as it is what they deserve
They bought the whole vinyl pressing game into disrepute and for that alone they should be condemned
Full stop
Chris

JayDC

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:12 am

mossboss wrote:That would be Z Audio, No not them mate There was some rumblings about them but it was likely a mistake or some confusion about who was who rather than a deliberate act Cheers
I was on a label on ST HOLDINGS.. its wierd.. 3 factories shut down, and 3 of the dubstep distro's stopped doing vinyl..

Cargo is the only one left.. trying to get with them now..

mossboss

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:56 am

Well it goes something like this
P&D is costly orders are getting smaller
Downloads so far as a distro/label is concerned is money for jam even though is a small amount per title it soon adds up for which they do little
On the other hand the physical nature of Vinyl takes people to handle pack post invoice collect deal with returns re orders pay royalties fees etc, a whole host of other tasks as well as organise record production covers quality for the final result
As much as we like to think otherwise the taste in music out there seems to change in a much sorter time frame than in the past
So it is a hard act to follow when there is a requirement for say 300 pressings and only 150-200 are sold the label distro is in the red
Rarely you will get re presses of 6 month old dubstep or drum and base stuff
It seems that around the 300-500 is the number that satisfies the market nowdays anyway but it is also interesting that good old rock and metal seems to just keep going with repressing done even with 5-8 year old releases
Interesting
Cheers
Chris

JayDC

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:56 am

well i got into this to make records, not audio files.. So I'm hoping to link up with a vinyl label.. Either that, or I'm going to make lathe cuts, or limited edition 7" colors and sell them on my website. I want my art to be found 10,000 years from now, not make a ton of money as fast as possible..

if i was in it for the money, i would have quit a long time ago..

Writing music is just something i do, and have done for 23 years.. a habit i doubt i'll soon kick... Since i was a kid i wanted to make records, and of course, the second i start doing it professionally, they make them obsolete..

the universe can be cruel..

cymbalism

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Hey Jay

Keep the faith brother, I started my Cymbalism labels back in 2003 when we could sell 1000+ 12"s and everyone was happy. Now I can't even release anything on wax because of my distro being shitty with me, I still have my P&D but I refuse to release anything with them because of a situation involving my late business partner and them.

Someday soon someone will do some testing on the long term effects of digital audio and realize it's not good for your hearing or brain or something and the mp3 will take a dirt nap and all those idiots out there who sold their tables and bought cdjs or serato will kick themselves in the arse because they sold all their classic jams because it was too bulky to lug around, meanwhile gaining about 50 lbs because of their lack of dj exercise (record bag carrying that is) and eating too many cheeseburgers :) I tried the digital route, after a night at the club playing for 4 hours my head was killing me. Never happened in the first 12 years of playing vinyl and now it doesn't happen anymore either since I sold my pioneers and bought two prestos :)

Do it yourself man, for the real djs who are still playing records. I've been djing for 17 years now, I don't push buttons - what fun is it in being a dj if something does almost everything for you and is unstable? One little glitch and your track jumps or skips or crashes - fuck that, you can see what might happen next on your records
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

Phinster

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Ha Ha,I wonder if the pressings were quiet and not covered with unfill.

The surviving 'reputable' plants in England seem to have horrible problems with this.

Its hard to get quality in the UK nowadays.

Back to hand presses for TP's !!!