Limited runs of lathe cut records

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

pete_d

Limited runs of lathe cut records

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:46 pm

hi all

I'm new but have had a good look around, amazing really! OK I run a small label, onec records, and we are interested in putting out fairly limited runs (25-50) of lathe cut records, is there anyone in the UK who could this?

I know of Peter King and a couple of US based people but really dont want to pay for the shipping costs as we like to keep the costs of our releases pretty reasonable.

thanks

Pete

piaptk

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 pm

I was wondering that too... I know of John and Keenan at singlepieceslate.com an Adam at corporaterecords.biz, but other than that it seems like everyone else does "dub plates" at a rate that only djs tht need single copies could afford, I.e. No resale labels would be able to buy them.

I am about to strt a business doing one sided picnic plate floppies (they actually sound pretty damn good) for cheap, and they are super lightweight and would not cost much to ship. If you are interested, PM me. Mike
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

cymbalism

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:02 pm

i'm doing lathe cut 7"s, 10"s and 12"s right now, embossed ala p.k. style until the diamonds get finished. the quality is great though with just a little surface noise. i'll have to put up a link to some sounds i've cut to let you guys check out.

so far i've done 30 copies of a 7" for a local punk band, 50 copies of a 7" for a guy out of maine, 20 copies of three different LPs for a local band and i'm getting ready to do another 50 7"s for another local band, 50 LPs for a local artist and 50 7"s for a guy in ames, iowa.

time consuming yes, but the customer base i have so far is thrilled they can get it done in their own backyard.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

destro

Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:19 pm

I was just about to post the same question as the topic creator. I'm in a very similar position, helping run a small label that puts out some 'normal' records, but we also enjoy doing super short runs of 20-75 copies.

I've used Peter King a few times now and have been really happy with his work.

But it would be great to find somebody in the usa doing this, to avoid those big shipping fees from New Zealand.

Cymbalism, I'm really interested in getting 15 10"s done at the moment. I'd love to get a quote from you on that, including shipping to Virginia.

Can't get that through Peter King, as his minimum run is 20.

Surface noise isn't a huge issue, as long as it isn't terrible. We are doing short runs for home recorded lo-fi bands here anyway.

cymbalism

Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:35 pm

destro wrote:I was just about to post the same question as the topic creator. I'm in a very similar position, helping run a small label that puts out some 'normal' records, but we also enjoy doing super short runs of 20-75 copies.

I've used Peter King a few times now and have been really happy with his work.

But it would be great to find somebody in the usa doing this, to avoid those big shipping fees from New Zealand.

Cymbalism, I'm really interested in getting 15 10"s done at the moment. I'd love to get a quote from you on that, including shipping to Virginia.

Can't get that through Peter King, as his minimum run is 20.

Surface noise isn't a huge issue, as long as it isn't terrible. We are doing short runs for home recorded lo-fi bands here anyway.
sent you a message mr man! :)
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi

securityblanket

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 am

has anyone used corporate records before?

mossboss

Small Runs

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:22 am

Hey All here PM Montalabano as well He is the best one for this as well but he keeps it low fi
Cheers
Chris

waynelectro

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:29 pm

I've done a couple of 7" with corporate records. They sound a little clearer and louder than the peter king stuff I've had done. They came a lot faster too. They're in New York and I got my records in like 2 weeks. Haven't tried any of the other people.

cymbalism

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:12 pm

my website is now up and functioning for lathe cut records. check out www.poly-cut.com for more details!
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi

destro

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:41 pm

^ I had Tommie make me a record and was really happy with it. I'd suggest him to anybody.

pete_d

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:47 pm

yeah Tommie just did me the first batch of 7"ers and we are very happy with the results, great service and a top guy :D

we got a lot more lathe cut releases planned, they come in pizza boxes with the possiblities of including all manner of other goodies quite endless!

pete

destro

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:58 pm

I like the pizza box packaging idea.

Factorcuts

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Hello, its been awhile since I last
posted but I do read the forums regularly.
The reason is because ive been practicing with
my new lathe setup from souri!
I will be offering limited runs of cutting in my sf bay community!
Ive had the setup for about three months, Zimbo came over and
helped me set it all up and showed me how too use it all
over a two week stay! It was fun!
The setup has the precision plate, but not the external motor(i plan on getting a sp10 mk2), souri told me to wait and cut for now, he hinted at developing a better external motor, and testing of turntables, lathes ect.
So for now my new1210 will do, but i honestly dont notice any flutter, but im not an expert. The precision plate is pretty heavy, im sure the added weight keeps the rpm consistent enough for me. I plan on maybe after mastering this lathe, going for a vms...but for now i feel it cuts pretty good! Ive mainly been archiving my collection of live dead and phish, all legal audience, not selling any. The live cuts sound awesome! I was skeptical of the lathe at first, but now im quite happy! I feel it gives me a good learning platform, where a mistake on souris machine is a cheaper lesson learned, then if i get so deep into it then i will have learned alot of skills before I get involved with a 50k$ neumann! Where each part is as much as souris machine! Plus the cuts are spectacular! Zimbo was all like trust me you dont need a neumann, learn how to work souris machine and you can make it just as good!

Anyways as too the topic of this thread, there are a few one off vinyl
cutters out there...a really good one is

http://www.vinylcarvers.com/

in the meantime im going to continue to develop my studio and skills, im
very interested in getting a real to real tape for analog saturation,
and I really would love to be able to work with a vms82 and cut copper!

Cheers,
factor

opcode66

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Factorcuts wrote:Zimbo was all like trust me you dont need a neumann, learn how to work souris machine and you can make it just as good!
I really would love to be able to work with a vms82 and cut copper!
factor
Wow that is truly funny. VR is as good as a Neumann. You have me on the floor laughing.

Adding weight with the precision plate will in no way help maintain a consistent speed. Torque and a properly designed dc motor control circuit and motor will give you consistent speed.

If you want to hear the flutter, record the sound of a piano key being struck (or a chord) and sustained. The tone should remain at a constant frequency and only change in volume over time progressive getting softer and softer. When cut on a VR you hear the attack and decay ok but in the sustain and release portion of the sound you will hear the frequency (note/tone) fluctuate. There's your flutter.

You are advertising your services but yet you say your cuts are "pretty good". Not excelent or great. Sell it man... No one will have you cut for them if you don't sound confident.

And, if the VR is so great and you can "make it just as good" as a Nuemann then it seems pretty contradictory to say you want to own one or cut on one. Why if the VR is that good? It isn't.

Try cutting a lacquer on your VR... Oh that's right, you can't.

graph

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi there guys.

I ask if the SP15 is, overall, better than the SP10; torque wise/anything wise?

The platter on the SP15 is 15.7 inches. Is the SP15 able to accomodate 14" laquer to be cut?

Cheers.
Last edited by graph on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

fraggle

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:09 pm

hey mate
sp10 has more torque.
I have not seen an sp15 so i don't know.
But one thing is certain the sp15 is still better than a technics 1210!
To be honest if you wanna cut professional laquer you need a vms or a scully why do you think all the proffesional guys here use a vms?
cheers

Factorcuts

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:18 pm

I am really only here to learn stuff and respond to positive vibe people!
I like my VR setup for my skill level involved in the whole thing, which is none! I like the price, I know that cutting lacquer discs is possible on the VR, you just have to have the external motor and the saphire, change the angle, I dont kno all the ins and outs yet, because im just starting on all this! I just want to make some descent cuts! Ive cut alot of live soundboard recordings of bands like the grateful dead and phish, who all play piano jams ect with sustained cords and with all the plug ins and meters ect, ive got on my somewhat beginner set and it sounds great! All my friends in the SF Bay are pretty impressed!
Thats one of the great things about bands like the dead, taper section! They call it audience recordings! Not bootlegs!
But Im not trying to get into a pissing contest! I was really just posting for the first time in awhile, giving my update and telling the original poster about vinylcarvers! I really find forums interesting, but I try to stay away
from posting because so many people are just sitting onthe computer
waiting to pounce on posts and pull people

apart and down...ego? Boredom? Need to always be right and inform? Not sure but its funny!
But I said I plan on offering my cutting services to tje community, but im still really just practicing!
And I do realize that there is a big difference between a VR and a neumann! But the VR is very versatile and I now realize could be hybrid version of a neumann! But having a VR is different than wondering about how well they work! And for me having never cut records before, its cool for now!
But The only reason ive been reading lately and made this post, other than its been awhile, is because I was waiting on new diamonds to come in the mail, and today 4 new diamonds did come, easy and no hassles! So now instead of sitting on the computer reading and talking about cutting, I can get back too cutting!

Oh and about the steel plate, I now remember him telling me that once the whole plate warms and the record is up to temp, the right temp will make the diamond cut smooth, so less drag on the turntable! But I agree and asked for the extra motor, but it will come, im not impatient! There are still lots of skills to be learned before everything needs to be super professional!
And im not a physicist but whouldnt the heavier plate have more inertia once it was up to speed? I know that when I turn off the turntable at the end of a cut(I dont push stop because I think it would damage the brake) the plate spins alot longer and harder than a normal 1210 platter! I kno I dj alot, and turn off my tables for effect and dont brake) much less I just know. The plate does add reinforcment too the rpm, I dont have any proof besides observation of two turntables...one with and one without!

But anyways its time to start cutting instead of interneting!
Peace,
factor

graph

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:30 pm

happy cutting dude!

cheers guys.

Factorcuts

Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:26 am

My buddy Zimbo in Berlin is another good place for limited run vinyl cuts...
His email is...

contact@vinylizer.de

opcode66

Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:03 am

Factorcuts wrote:And im not a physicist but whouldnt the heavier plate have more inertia once it was up to speed? I know that when I turn off the turntable at the end of a cut(I dont push stop because I think it would damage the brake) the plate spins alot longer and harder than a normal 1210 platter! I kno I dj alot, and turn off my tables for effect and dont brake) much less I just know. The plate does add reinforcment too the rpm, I dont have any proof besides observation of two turntables...one with and one without!
The difference is that when you dj you are not applying any significant downward force on the platter. A tonearm and phono cartridge are counterweghted so as to apply as little downward force as necessary to keep the needle in the groove without jumping out.

However, a cutterhead on a record lathe does apply downward pressure. Much more significantly than does a properly configured playback tonearm. The downward force is typically what causes the flutter on a system that can't compensate well enough. The material you are cutting will actually affect the downward force. That is controlled by the Pitch and Depth Computer. So, that is why what you are saying doesn't necessarily apply.

Yes, I read the board a lot. Yes, I respond a lot. Yes, I have opinions and don't mind sharing them along with a lot of good information...