Peter King collectors

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

AstroBBoy

Peter King collectors

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:29 pm

I was wondering if there are any Peter King collectors out there?
I remember years ago there was a large Discography containing a lot of the records he cut, but I can't seem to find it these days.

I've had a few of his records over the years:
* Beastie Boys - Aglio E Olio
* Beastie Boys - Some New Bullshit
* Gerling - Sedatives For Dead Radars

But there is also another which was never listed in the old discography, but I have limited info on it:

Band: Fly Cop (Australian band from what I remember)
Format: 7" Clear
Tracks: One side has "Sabotage" (a Beastie Boys cover)

I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this?
Or is anyone interested in it?

Cheers.

Also, here is a (very) short interview I did with Peter years ago:
http://www.beastiemania.com/collector/interviewpeterking.php

destro

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:21 pm

I can't give you any real info on it, but I'm interested. I'd love to see a list of what he has released.

He told me that for a long time he kept a copy of everything he did, but it got too out of control. So he ended up donating most of his collection to a local library.

But if you're working on a discography here are the records he has done for me:

Alex Shade and Thee Haints "Lo-Fi Hero" square shaped 8"

Thee Wild Wraith "Just Set Me Free" 5"
and
Thee Wild Wraith "Cold and Still" 5"

AstroBBoy

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 pm

> But if you're working on a discography
> here are the records he has done for me:

I'm not building a discography - that's a massive task. I was hoping someone might know where the old one is or if there are any current ones.

I am trying to find some info on the Fly Cop 7" and find someone who might be interested in buying it as I am culling my record collection.

destro

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Gotcha.

Well if you ever find the old one, please post a link to it here or pm it to me. I'd love to get a look at it.

piaptk

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:39 pm

The guy who was hosting the old discography with peters contact info let it die all of a sudden. I put up www.peterkinglathecutrecords.com simply so that people could contact him. You might look for that old site on a caches r archived version of the Internet.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

fraggle

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:56 pm

I cannot believe how cheap he is, how the hell do you wanna make a dollar out of that?

piaptk

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:22 am

fraggle wrote:I cannot believe how cheap he is, how the hell do you wanna make a dollar out of that?
He does 4 records at a time, cuts his own polycarbonate on a jig, and he makes his own styli out of victrola needles, sharpened conically and then embossed at a 45 degree angle.

But, he puts a lot of work into heating and waxing each record, so I'm not sure how he makes much money either... He stays super busy, so that must be it... VOLUME. He actually used to be a LOT cheaper. He raised his prices by 25% in the last year and a half.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

fraggle

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:48 am

ok but still if i would give my records away for that money i would pay myself 5 bucks an hour or something.
are the prices for both sides or just 1 side?
cheers

piaptk

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:01 pm

They re both sided. But if you think about it... $12 for an lp, 2xlps per hour per machine, 4 machines equals $96/hr minus $20 for poly = $76/hr. Even in us $ that is $50/hr. He makes his own styli, so he doesn't have a cost there... Singles make him even more money.... Obviously that is a simplification of the time involved, but with that many lathes running, you can make some cash.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com