VANROCK RECORD CUTTER

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:27 am

TotalSonic wrote: Here's another unique Japanese record cutter that I've never seen before -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ8Sv-yjI5k&feature=related
This one has come up before and someone wrote to this guy - apparently it is indeed a Japanese brand and there was a little more information in that post too.

studiorp

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:19 am

Yes, is the same machine, but with another brand.

fraggle

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:51 am

yes but this cutter on youtube looks a million time better.
nice mechanics....

cymbalism

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:27 am

TotalSonic wrote: Here's another unique Japanese record cutter that I've never seen before -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ8Sv-yjI5k&feature=related

Best regards,
Steve Berson
it kinda looks like some sort of fairchild hybrid in a way
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Simon, is that yours? what's the model number of the "Atom"?

And again, I am trying to understand what their intended market would have been for this crazy thing.

blacknwhite

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Steve E. wrote:And again, I am trying to understand what their intended market would have been for this crazy thing.
I would think the intended market was, anyone who had any kind "audio services" / "electronics services" business at the time. They could then add to their list of services, "I can make 7-inch records from your tapes". Or just sell the machines themselves, alongside stereos& TVs. That would be a service perhaps used by musicians, club DJ's, jukebox operators, record collectors, and anyone with a funny tape of an uncle who got drunk and started singing a messed-up version of Jingle Bells...

Also, isn't (wasn't?) Karaoke *HUGE* in Japan? How about a Japanese karaoke bar that can for a fee, make you a souvenir record of your karaoke performance...

It would seem, none of those marketing ideas were very good (or poorly executed), since this is the first one of these lathes many of us have ever seen, they couldn't have sold THAT many... atleast not exported outside Japan...

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Why would people want a machine that made ONLY mono 7" in 1980?

How big a deal were jukeboxes? maybe very big.

Aussie0zborn

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:41 am

blacknwhite wrote: Also, isn't (wasn't?) Karaoke *HUGE* in Japan? How about a Japanese karaoke bar that can for a fee, make you a souvenir record of your karaoke performance...
Which explains why the records are GOLD.

@ Steve : Maybe mono is better than nothing and keeps the cost down.

mossboss

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Ok
And we thought we seen it all hey!
Now all you guys out there with the wilson gays go for it
It certainly looks like a modern made machine by comparison to some of the gear seen around here thats for sure
Cheers
Chris

studiorp

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:24 pm

The big problem is another, because here normally we see lathes of 1940-50, and when we see some lathes of another age, we are all amazed, first because these machines are very rare, second because are been build in Japan, that seem have established to build machines more updated with more interesting solutions of design.
This is my idea, but I can be in error...

Cheers to all.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Oh, understand, I think the design is attractive! Heck, if one of those fell into my lap, you bet your life I would enjoy playing with it. I'm not criticizing it when I express bewilderment about its intended purpose or intended audience.

fraggle

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 am

sure but that vanrock cutter seems to be very limited.
the other lathe looks nice. Would probably be easy to modify it with the vinylium system too.
Half a year ago i got an offer for a faitchild the one which looks similar for 16000 dollar inclusive amps what a joke.....

Techie

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:47 pm

I remember years ago, probably around 1980, seeing a tiny news blurb in BILLBOARD Magazine stating that a new cutter had been introduced that cut 7" 45rpm. It was a one or two sentence blurb with a photo. I never heard any more about it. Maybe this is it.

Also, yes, the blank is wobbling up and down. Maybe it's a cardboard based blank like in the old days of home recording. Just a thought. The chip coming off the stylus is not typical of lacquer coated aluminum.

Does anyone know why the VU meter would be slamming clearly into the high end?

Anyway, it sure looks like it could be a lot of fun.