diamond stylus again:)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

fraggle

diamond stylus again:)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:49 am

looks like they can do it.
http://www.synton-mdp.ch/
no idea how much though....
cheers

subkontrabob

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:58 am

"1962 erfolgte die Gründung der Synton AG für die Herstellung von Tonträgern aus Diamant und Saphir."

This must be some kind of error, Tonträger means "sound carrier medium".

My bet is on reproducing styli instead :D

d

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:19 pm

I think the website says everything:

Synton-MDP is a manufacturer of diamond stylus for metrological equipment (surface finish, profile, form, nano-indentation, hardness, scratch and other characteristics).

But if we look at here: http://www.synton-mdp.ch/en/produkte/Sonderanfertigungen.htm
they can make custum design stylus.

So, I think maybe there is a quite good possibility to make it done.

fraggle

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:53 pm

yes i think that is an error.
I am in Germany at the moment and will contact them next week.
But the prices are probably to high.
I don't know i have to ask.
I'll let you know
Cheers

d

Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:03 pm

It would be very nice if You could ask them.

The price, like everywhere, depends on specification of product and of course of a quantity on the order.

Maybe there is some error, but what I saw on the Products menu it cannot be an error. There is nothing suitable for cutting but they showed in a last section that they can do what is ordered. That is the thing we are looking at.

Good luck

subkontrabob

Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Bear in mind we have a man in Switzerland :wink:

......and the best part of it is that this company is located only 30 km from his place :D

hammr7

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 pm

I've worked with a variety of surface science equipment, and if they can do both nanoindentation styli and scratch tester styli, then they probably have the capabilities to do cutting styli for vinyl.

The problem will be with their pricing. Most high end R&D equipment requires precise components, and the users expect to pay for that precision. Unless you can convince their marketing people otherwise, their price models will be much to high.

piaptk

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:48 pm

subkontrabob wrote:Bear in mind we have a man in Switzerland :wink:

......and the best part of it is that this company is located only 30 km from his place :D
Who? I am dying for a good, affordable, durable diamond needle that is actually available right now!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

subkontrabob

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:56 am

That would be flozki.

mossboss

Diamond Styli

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:00 am

It is in the nature of Humans to live in HOPE
I think a dead horse is flogged on this
It is strictly price/quality
You get what you pay for, yes there are quite a few people out there capable of producing these items
Not an issue Just price
Dealing with the diamond mafia its no fun either, (Hello Flo)
Cheers
Chris

motorino

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:12 pm

mm... Mossy, you have the reason again

The diamonds mafia..

Expensive prices for diamond cutting styluses, the quality its necessary and immeasurably? (excuseme for my english)

For cutting blanks need a very hi-quality diamond because you have forces in all angles, the sharpened isnt very important, the quality its the problem.

Only good prices for big quantities... but I've been offered straight-cut sapphires, like cut diamonds for 0º cuts, i have been told me they are very hard too if i just want to cut polycarbonate, not for metal cuts (DMM, not heavy metal :lol: )

You are the Men Mossy :wink:

Cheers!
Marcos

aaron

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:20 pm

So is this something that you will be offering for purchase? Any idea on pricing? Does the shape of them make them last longer on plastics than other sapphires?

motorino

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:50 am

I do not sell anything ;) The question isnt the shape, the question its the diamond quality.. its my english so bad? Excuseme
And need more time and some bucks from my pocket..

Cheers
Marcos

fraggle

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:12 am

lol
you just repeated what mossy told us about 5 times 2 weeks ago:)
but you are right and i hope someone gets this problem sorted.
black blancs and good affordable diamonds......
cheers

mossboss

Farking Diamonds

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:09 am

Hey All
There will be no such thing as low cost diamonds OK!!!!!
Not possible, even if they are "Blood Diamonds" there will still be a high price for them for the likes of us
Cheers
Chris

greybeard

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:48 pm

The way I see it, we use diamonds for three reasons:
1) having to change a stylus means downtime
2) when it works you do not have to change very often
3) diamond is the best heat-conducting material there is. It is the only efficient way to get the heat from the heating coil to your lacquer surface. So, there is no substitute!
It was much easier in the old days: the cutting needle sat in a chuck and you would change it according to the material you were cutting on. The high linear velocity at 78 rpm made sure you had a clean cut.

This is all tidbits; best wishes ...

aaron

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:17 pm

I think it depends on what you're trying to accomplish... if you're going for no-maintenance, pro-sound, maybe diamond is the only answer.

If you're experimenting, I think markrob's experiments with lapping high-speed steel might be a more reasonable alternative. If a person could cut a full side with a HSS needle and get good sound, to me, that would be good enough... sharpen it and you're ready to go again. Or make a bunch of 'em and sharpen them as needed.

mossboss

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Aaron
You got it right man that is the way to do it The only issue is that you would need a good jig as well as a good grinder with a diamond wheel not that expensive as a first choice or by hand on a lap as mr robinson does
Alternative scrounge around for a faceting machine used That would be fine may be around the $300-800 mark that is the ultimate really
Use the faceting lap and you can get the right angles as well as a mirror finish on the HSS saphire or even diamonds the last would take time
You can than get some man made or even natural diamonds used recovered from tooling they would be fine for a few cuts You may even get lucky and get an excellent one or two There is a guy selling them on ebay by the carat Pot luck indeed but there would be enough there to get a few out of the bunch I have seen him on ebay quite often and for the qty he offers it is a damn good price They are recovered from dressing tools so they are "pointers" ruined/worn on one side but the other side would be fine More than good enough for the likes of us here non pro use
Food for thought
Cheers
Chris