Rant & Questions about one off Vinyl cutting.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Coda

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Yes we all know the definitions, however those statements are referring to sale items not personal copies.

Pirate:deceiving the buyer into thinking it is an original

It's not my job to sell other peoples music, it's my job to find music at the best quality I can, be that for restoration projects, DJ'ing and also for sampling. . . in some cases
Coda - Musical selection in film, the ending usually wordless.

Coda

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:33 pm

I don't want people getting their hands on my work anyway, I'm rarely paid for it, I mainly do it for personal enjoyment and/or friends or for DJ'ing, they may not be solely exclusive pieces of music but the quality I restore them to is something that's exclusive to my set's. That's part of the reason DJ's cut one of Dubplates, so they have a "Special" cut different to any other, be that in musical content, or for sound quality, pitch correction, tempo matching or whatever.

I thought you guys had decided I wasn't a Pirate anyway? well at any rate, I take better care over these pieces than any label would that's for sure.

agfamatic

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Coda wrote:I don't want people getting their hands on my work anyway, I'm rarely paid for it, I mainly do it for personal enjoyment and/or friends or for DJ'ing, they may not be solely exclusive pieces of music but the quality I restore them to is something that's exclusive to my set's. That's part of the reason DJ's cut one of Dubplates, so they have a "Special" cut different to any other, be that in musical content, or for sound quality, pitch correction, tempo matching or whatever.

I thought you guys had decided I wasn't a Pirate anyway? well at any rate, I take better care over these pieces than any label would that's for sure.
its a shame aboute those extremly strikt and complicated copyright laws they realy messes things upp. i would love to help you but unfortunately i dont have a record lathe so i realy cant help you and i dont know much abute the legal detiles aboute the copyright laws and i dont realy want to get to involved in that copyright mess.
but hopefully you will find a way.

Coda

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Ah well, you know, it's only really the coloured Vinyl I was after, the cutting houses will still cut one off black vinyl dubs for me so it's cool. I'm actually eager to know what these Vinyl dub plates are like to use, I wonder if they are as flexible as vinyl presses? all I know is they weigh sound and look the same, I haven't seen one first hand yet, only pics which doesn't tell you a lot.

You know someone should really do a good explanatory Youtube video on them, there aren't many up that I can find at anyrate.

Anyway thanks.

agfamatic

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Coda wrote:Ah well, you know, it's only really the coloured Vinyl I was after, the cutting houses will still cut one off black vinyl dubs for me so it's cool. I'm actually eager to know what these Vinyl dub plates are like to use, I wonder if they are as flexible as vinyl presses? all I know is they weigh sound and look the same, I haven't seen one first hand yet, only pics which doesn't tell you a lot.

You know someone should really do a good explanatory Youtube video on them, there aren't many up that I can find at anyrate.

Anyway thanks.
i have heard aboute those vinyl dubs but like you i have never seen one in real life the only lathe cutt records i own are some old lacquer records but i gues that unlike lacquer records Vinyl dubs are propobly more like normal pressed vinyl records