Voyager Golden Record

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:53 am

Let's work this one out....

So it sounds like :

1. They cut a lacquer at the JVC Cutting Center. Why a Pyral brand lacquer? Because cutting and plating them was a dream.
2. They silvered and plated the lacquer at James G Lee Record Processing like most people did back then.
3. They made a number of copper mothers and gold-plated them.
4. Nothing to do with DMM.

But, why does the Wikipedia photo of this gold-plated disc show a bush ring surrounding the centre hole if its a metal mother rather than a vinyl pressing?

diamone

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:49 pm

greybeard wrote:Mossboss, what makes you think that they physically cut this copper record at 16 2/3 rpm?
Because in 1977 - actually 1976 when the discs were cut - CD-4 Quadraphonic was in the last vestiges of its' death throes.

CD-4 had to be cut half-speed so that the constant presence of the carrier wave would fry neither the head nor the electronics from trying to cut real-time.

So it makes total sense that they cut a 16 2/3 RPM record real-time at the JVC Cutting Center - especially if it was a CBS contract, being some of the last of the CBS MasterSound LPs were cut there as well.

Their other choices at that time would have been Nautilus and Mobile Fidelity.
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)

greybeard

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 pm

----- well I was rather questioning the idea that the cut was directly on copper, not the speed as such. I do not know quite enough about DMM, but obviously 33 1/3 rpm and 45 rpm are sufficient to maintain the chatter at 70 kHz for the vertical vibration, but I have not read anywhere that "half-speed", i.e. 16 2/3, would do it. If it was directly on copper, what were the Pyrals needed for?

- my longest-lived thread! -

mossboss

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Not sure if this was covered it is a while that this thread had started
But how about this:
Is it possible that the cut on lacquer than the spattered a copper coating on it so as to preserve it from deterioration?
Again I am not sure if that was proposed or covered in the past If it has just ignore the input here of this -long lived thread- Hello George! you been silent for a while
By the way DMM would be a far better high freq cut than lacquer, just as lacquer is a better low freq medium to cut on than DMM
Cheers
Chris

diamone

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:07 am

mossboss wrote:..DMM would be a far better high freq cut than lacquer, just as lacquer is a better low freq medium to cut on than DMM
Too bad they can't come up with a double-layer hybrid i.e like a FeCr cassette or Sony ElCaset that was out for three seconds in the 80's.
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)