Experimenter section of the forum?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Experimenter section of the forum?

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey steve, is there any chance of getting a separate
section for the freaks of the board, similar to the "professionals" section? So that people could discuss more unorthodox cutting materials, methods, packaging, etc? It seems like the general forum is pretty evenly split between pros who mostly cut lacquers and those of us who are much more interested in getting weird with the hobby using amateur and less expensive machines. It would keep the pros from having o put up with all our stuff and maybe make the weirdos feel more comfortable about putting things out there. Also hopefully put an end to the broken record (pun intended) of the vr melodrama.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

graph

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Does your reference to 'freak' include the likes of me - am I branded a 'freak' here?

Oh, 'weirdo' also! haha.. great! lol

I do see what you mean though.

Yes, perhaps create an independant V.R., Kingston, D.I.Y. Lathe,/Other etc. Topic section, titled:

"Freak & Weirdo's Going on's..."

;D

All the best, Cheers.

MEGAMIKE

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:20 am

yes yes ive been longing to upload the photos of me cutting naked..
and my PHD experiment with chimps and various lathes :D

graph

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:09 am

hahahaha

petermontg

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:04 pm

MEGAMIKE wrote:yes yes ive been longing to upload the photos of me cutting naked..
and my PHD experiment with chimps and various lathes :D

shaved chimps in party hats
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

Jesus H Chrysler

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 pm

I thought this WAS the experimenters section...

Factorcuts

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Hey megamike are those chimps high on acid?

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I agree that something's gotta change, but I'm not sure exactly what. I resisted the idea of the "professionals" section for a while because I dislike such divisions, but I hoped it would ease some tensions. (did it? I can't tell.) I also fear adding too many sections because it will could make the board confusing and unwieldy. I think it's all about finding the right balance. Maybe some other 2 sections are redundant and can be combined into one? (to make more space for a new section.)

I will give this some serious consideration. It may simply be a matter of retitling or re-describing a section. I do wonder what this top section would be for if i created yet another section. I sort of agree with this post:
Jesus H Chrysler wrote:I thought this WAS the experimenters section...
but it sounds like it's not solving a perceived problem, which deserves being taken seriously.

Piaptk, if you (or anyone else) wishes to send me PM links to recent posts or threads where dramas have arisen, that might help me to arrive at a solution. I'd rather not post the links in this thread to avoid starting additional "I said/you said" arguments. I think everyone here is acting/posting in good faith, it's just that people want the forum to serve them in different ways.