Anyone in contact with Gib @ West-Tech

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:42 pm

d wrote:Hi,

I get better results when tilting to 10deg. Not more.
I cannot confirm how this will work with new stylus.

Anyway - who can tell the lifespan for Vinylium diamond stylus. Cannot find exact number of hours here.
I mean how far did you tilt it back when working with a sharpened victrola needle?

I don't think there is an "average" lifespan for Vinyliums. Some people have gotten 100 hours, some have gotten 2 hours. Depends on the individual diamond and the way that it is mounted and used, etc. Too many variables, but I'm scared to death to use mine, since it cost me $350.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

d

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:30 am

With 45 deg. tilting the results where bad. With about 30 deg. it was better. But not good enough. The groove was too small or dull for reproduction stylus stand on track when used about 45 degrees.

Afterall, cutting stylus backwards gave much better results.

Need to gain some experience before buying diamond. The price is giving a shock.....

If you have bought it, try using it carefully :)
I would not have such patience and looking at it sitting in the box. I would try it the first days. :P

good luck

piaptk

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:52 am

d wrote:With 45 deg. tilting the results where bad. With about 30 deg. it was better. But not good enough. The groove was too small or dull for reproduction stylus stand on track when used about 45 degrees.

Afterall, cutting stylus backwards gave much better results.

Need to gain some experience before buying diamond. The price is giving a shock.....

If you have bought it, try using it carefully :)
I would not have such patience and looking at it sitting in the box. I would try it the first days. :P

good luck
Oh, I tried it... and it took forever to get it seated in the adapter properly (trial and error). It worked great for three records and then started to gather surface noise. So I shelved it for a while and worked on other projects, dreaming of the day that someone comes out with an affordable diamond...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

d

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:07 am

For three records..... and noise.... that's not nice.....

Maybe you used too much preasure or bad angle. These things I think are critical.

As I see it - there will be no affordable diamond. Anyway it is too expensive. As there was post by andreas about new diamond that should be 160euro - that would be a thought but now it is 250euro... So the same price, maybe better quality than vinylium? but still vvveeeerryy expensive.
If it would last 100 hours and you can be confident that it will work no matter what - thats will be OK. But if you will make a mistake and it will brake after 2 hours, then it is a disaster.

D