Why am I hearing only surface noise? K8

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Self-lather

Why am I hearing only surface noise? K8

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Hello.. so I finally got some replacement tubes for my K8. I know Gib did some test cuts with it before shipping it, and it worked then. It seems to crank right up, I hear sound from the head. But my cut, no matter how deep or shallow, just sounds like straight noise.

I'm guessing it might be a grounding issue. Any veteran K8 pros want to throw me some advice?

-Thomas

piaptk

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:29 am

Are you sure your stylus is good? If you can hear the music coming out of the head, but the record is just a bunch of noise, that would be what I would guess... try cutting a record with no sound whatsoever. I am not sure if it is possible to totally turn off the amp and still have the turntable running on those, but if it is possible, i'd do that to test the cut.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com