Short runs of lathe cut : where? who?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mossboss

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Hey Guys
Fair comment but it was a ref more towards the pro cutters rather than the pressing plants
In particular when the talk goes around cutting masters on a VR
Cheers
Chris

dietrich10

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Looks like I am doing lathe cut run 100 series on dub plates for close friends label. artist is well known in their genre and we could have demand for more than the 100. they love the fact the sound quality will be affect by plays.

i will be doing friend pricing on it so make it work for them

D
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

piaptk

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:50 pm

dietrich10 wrote: they love the fact the sound quality will be affect by plays.

D
self destructing records? Ha... Make it really weird and cut them on 14" lacquers...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

dietrich10

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:19 am

piaptk wrote: D
self destructing records? Ha... Make it really weird and cut them on 14" lacquers...[/quote]

Warning:This record might play great 20 times

cymbalism

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 pm

I dont understand why people say acetates only last so long before the fidelity wears out. I cut dubs back in 1998 and I can still rock them in a club and they still sound great even after years of play. I think it all depends on storage and cleaning of them because I seriously don't have any out of the 30 or 40 I cut back in the day that have deteriorated or sound bad enough to not play out not to mention some of the acetates I've cut for my wife which she plays religiously and still sound good. Is this a fluke or just careful playback on my end?
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

fraggle

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi Cymbalism
please check your pm's
cheers

opcode66

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:26 pm

The other consideration with dubs vs plastic is the weight. If you are a dj and want to cut dubs to play out that can get to be a very heavy bag... Plastic cuts are lighter generally. Makes it easier to bring a full bag out. The metal substrate does really add some weight to the dubs.

dietrich10

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:01 am

I have a bag of dubplates I have djed with. I've found you lose highs quickly and if you are like me and start with the first beat in when mixing in the phones--you wear those first grooves out+they get noisey

Chris

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:47 am

I own pressed records that do that to be honest - played them a lot, but still, it does happen with pressed records too if you play them loads and cue up/scratch first beats a lot.

cymbalism

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:06 am

It all depends on how heavy you are weighing the force on your tonearms, plus needle age. If you are using good stylus and not cueing for more than you need to, you won't ruin that first groove that fast. I do have records from when I started playing jungle in 1995 that suffer from that shhhh on count one due to using other djs needles back before I would bring my own every gig. Sucks too because some of those tunes were never reissued and are impossible to find anywhere, even digitally to recut.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

dietrich10

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:21 am

yeah I never bring needles...too many times stuck waiting around as the other needles disappear and rest of night needs yours.

I am always fast record on/off DJ. good thing i can recut my own dubs

Chris

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 am

It definitely has it's advantages :wink:

fraggle

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm

please check your pm's @cymbalism

mossboss

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Cymbalism got it right weight and balance
Also the new stylii offered to DJ's now days have a slightly different cut on them so as to allow for scratching making it easier for the backwrds forwards movement
In other words the radius is different and it has a finer point on it so as to track better on the bottom of the groove or nearly on the bottom certainly deeper into the V
The end result is records/dubs deteoriate faster
So older stylii, correct weight and balance = longer lasting dubs come records
Not hard at all
DJ's do a damn good job using these techniques so some of them look at the records or their dubs as a disposable item which needs to be replaced when it does its duty
Nothing wrong with that either
Cheers
Chris

d1rk

UNITED RECORDS...ehhh well hmmm...

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:06 pm

In the past I did a few records with them years ago, I liked what they did sort of but had some issues with "CUSTOMER SERVICE".

I remember when there were a bunch of plants going out of business around the same time they got really full of themselves, thats when the prices skyrocketed too.

If you use any type of "samples" in your music DO NOT go there. They go out of their way to search your material for samples. Even if you think its innocent or small or no big deal. I know a friend who had a bad thing happen (and he was a big client of theirs): what happened is they run your test presses charge you for them, say no this has samples on it and then not give you the money back or the records. To me if you pay for something they should give it to you or they should tell you they won't run it and refund you. Not run it and then tell you no you can't have it and we are keeping your money. I know this to be fact and i am not trying to badmouth them its just a warning for all the experimenters here that use samples. I am not talking a flat out BOOTLEG, im talking samples. I am NOT looking to debate that, thats been done here already.

just my 2 cents for what its worth...

piaptk

Re: UNITED RECORDS...ehhh well hmmm...

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:02 pm

d1rk wrote:In the past I did a few records with them years ago, I liked what they did sort of but had some issues with "CUSTOMER SERVICE".

I remember when there were a bunch of plants going out of business around the same time they got really full of themselves, thats when the prices skyrocketed too.

If you use any type of "samples" in your music DO NOT go there. They go out of their way to search your material for samples. Even if you think its innocent or small or no big deal. I know a friend who had a bad thing happen (and he was a big client of theirs): what happened is they run your test presses charge you for them, say no this has samples on it and then not give you the money back or the records. To me if you pay for something they should give it to you or they should tell you they won't run it and refund you. Not run it and then tell you no you can't have it and we are keeping your money. I know this to be fact and i am not trying to badmouth them its just a warning for all the experimenters here that use samples. I am not talking a flat out BOOTLEG, im talking samples. I am NOT looking to debate that, thats been done here already.

just my 2 cents for what its worth...
I can't stand their sample policy either. It means a lot of hoops I have to jump through everytime i use found sounds, dictaphone recordings, etc.

HOWEVER... they make it very very clear in their paperwork. Your friend could have paid to clear the samples, given them the paperwork and they would have given him his records. If he chose NOT to pay to clear samples, then that was his choice.

What you are so upset about is the musical equivalent of walking into a copy center, putting $20 on a copy card and then throwing a temper tantrum when they refuse to give you the color copies of $100 bills that you just made on their color copier and won't give your money back.

Sure, URP can be the annoying counter clerk that takes their job WAY too seriously sometime, but they are simply upholding the law.

Whether you like the sample copyright laws, if you use something of someone elses, you are legally obligated to pay for it.

They are the cheapest pressing plant out there (except for Nashville Record Productions)... I've made 14 records with them, and had no problems with customer service, but every other plant I've used... Rheinbow, Eriiiikkkka, and RekkidPressindawtcwm, whom I used for 2 records each, were AWFUL in terms of customer service.

And I say all this knowing full well that they might reject a 7" I'm doing that has home recorded sounds from a 1940s wire recorder reel... One track was recorded on top of a church choir practice (which bleeds through pretty bad) and another track is of a family wishing their relative happy anniversary. There is no copyright on this, but they might reject it all the same...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

d1rk

: )

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 am

Lol , it's cool man I'm not upset I'm all good. but I remember calling them up and trying to givethem some business and they were all down my throat about samples before anything. It's kind of overkill.

Respect.

MEGAMIKE

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:03 am

its money,people watching there backs and lazyness ...
its the information age ,yet its avalable but censerd with MONEY.
the information age has taken over, but with laws.
its the information age ,so then i should be able to contact the artist to get the sample cleared...
"no" the label owns the sample..so back to the top.
its money..people watching there backs and lazyness

just wait 20years it should be ok.

iam not saying its kool(to produce) just that there is no easy way to clear a sample for artists ,and ive heard some good music from customers but then having to say no,makes me look and fell like a complete knobend... people using the ahem brotha sample and funky drummer ,no sorry???.."

ask somebody if they even know were they got there breakbeat from ,most would not be able to tell you..

destro

Re: UNITED RECORDS...ehhh well hmmm...

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:08 pm

piaptk wrote:
d1rk wrote: They are the cheapest pressing plant out there (except for Nashville Record Productions)... I've made 14 records with them, and had no problems with customer service, but every other plant I've used... Rheinbow, Eriiiikkkka, and RekkidPressindawtcwm, whom I used for 2 records each, were AWFUL in terms of customer service.

Well there is also Musicol, they are cheaper than URP. I consider their quality to be quite good, I've done a few records with them and been really happy with them all. I'm not sure what their stance on samples is.

piaptk

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 am

Never looked At musicol before. They are cheap. I like the simplicity of the pricing.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com