new formula apollo ref lites

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dietrich10

new formula apollo ref lites

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:23 pm

anyone using these?
I gave up over a year ago when I had constant issues even with the same box...
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

emorritt

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:33 pm

I bought half a box a while back because I have a few customers who insist on them; my thoughts are ehhh... yeah a little better, but...

I've cut these for some customers then re-cut the same order on a dub and they LOVE the dub and never order a ref lite again. The coating issues they were trying to solve I can still see evidence of here and there. My understanding is that the formula for these is thicker (more viscosity) than what's used on dubs and masters and there may be no real solution for coating problems. Weird thing is that when I got the first batch of them and opened the box, I noticed they smelled almost exactly like Allieds. Hadn't smelled that particular lacquer odor in 30 years! I still have some old Allieds around and pulled one out for comparison - not exactly the same, but very close - different than Apollo's dubs or masters.

dietrich10

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Why is there even a need for ref lite versus the dubs?

emorritt

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:52 am

Originally the thin core was supposed to mimic a pressing so carrying around a bunch of custom cuts wouldn't weigh a ton and the coating was developed to withstand backcueing and skratching. You can tell by the odor that there is a difference in the coating formulas (dub vs. ref lite). I've never actually taken one of each - a dub and a ref lite and 'abused' them to see which would develop noise first or become 'cueburned'. Then the plastic (polycarbonate/PVC, etc.) camp came around to try to solve this problem of weight and durability, but only to varying degrees of success. I have several samples of custom cuts on plastic and each one has it's own issue; noise, bad high end, etc. I guess these issues are getting better as the format is developed, but I still haven't seen anything that I'm impressed with compared to a lacquer. Cost and withstanding abuse are the two main issues with Apollo constantly raising prices.

dietrich10

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:39 pm

thanks for the insight.

I cant see bothering with ref lites again. same cost as dubs and none of the chip issues/changing of settings etc

I would love to get a 2nd lathe to cut on plastic...

mossboss

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:14 am

Hey D
Use your existing one Just fork out a grand or two for the diamond stylus from the old German guy that does them for the DMM
No problems at all
Same shank as the SX74 there is no lack of driving power as it cuts through aluminium with ease if you go to deep any way So it can handle it
Just dont expect the suction to work well with lacquers and diamond
It does not so dont bother trying it out
The reason that saphire or ruby is used its because they do not generate static charges on lacquers
Diamond does
Attempts to use diamond have being plentifull in the past all but one failed
The one that did work was a Japanese invention that had a fine wire embedded on the cutting face of the diamond cutting stylus that was hooked to earth via the heating element so as to conduct the charge away
THe patent applied for for that invention was available on the net a few years back
Unfortunatelly it came towards the end of the vinyl era although I have heard people using them I never seen one
Not sure about Polycarbonate or Makrolon on the VMS but from what I have observed on other cutting lathes such as VR and a Kingston it should work as it seems that the chip is much more tougher than what comes off a normal lacquer and with a bit of fiddling it should be sucked away on a good vacuum system
cheers
Cheers
Chris

cymbalism

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:05 am

When my diamond worked the chip off of the poly went straight up into the vacuum with no issues. I never got the chance to cut a lacquer with it though, didn't last long enough for other experiments.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

mossboss

A bit off topic but never mind

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:52 am

Hey man that is a pitty and an expensive excersise I am not sorry that I pulled the pin on the diamond trip but very dissapointed that it just did not worked out
I pulled the pin as I could not see me suppliyng them to any one with a level of confidence that I could say this will be good for 1 hour 10 hours or 100 hours or even 200 hundred or whatever
To be able to do that one needs very high quality stones
Than you still need to pick the eyes out of them as well, so as to select suitable stones to cut and shape, making the whole excersise expensive as well as very time consuming
The diamond guys sell you a "parcel" they pick them from crap to top quality and thats it
They give you a chanche to pick between 3-5 parcels and you can not change this stone for this or that for that one
Five parcels according to weight you want to buy all at the same price per carat one price
So you choose from what they offer you and it is unlikely that you can use all of the rough stones
Thats it
If you get lucky you may use half of them the other half you are stuck with therefore the cost of the parcel has to be paid for by the finished product
Just did not stuck up and I was not going to do it to make money but even that did not get the price low enough so no go
Cheers
Chris

markrob

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:52 am

Hi Chris,

Is there any way that the crap could be made into styli for a very reduced price? There would be no guarantee of performance, but If you could mount and facet them and bring them in for $20-$50 US maybe it would become worthwhile.

Just a thoguht.

Mark