Overhead cutting arm head mount design question

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mratx

Overhead cutting arm head mount design question

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:02 pm

I have two Rek-o-kut overhead cutting lathe arms (B-5 and M-12), and I'm looking to make mounting units for different cutting heads. I have mounts for an Astatic M41 and a Brush RC-20, and I'm looking to make one for a Presto 1d and one for an RCA 4889. Other than needing to ensure free vertical movement and correct stylus spacing relative to the arm, what else do I need to make sure of? The ones I have have weights to the back of the pivot mounting point, but don't totally offset the weight of the cutting head, I'm guessing I need to determine the net weight on the stylus and try to duplicate it, would that be correct? Any thing else I need to consider? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark