Western Union/shipping

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

petermontg

Western Union/shipping

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 am

Hi Guys

Kinda in a pickle, need some advice

Am in the middle of selling a tube amp

Chap has sent a Paypal payment but has locked it till i pay the shipping cost to Western Union.

Shiping cost is 400E- this price doesnt make sense as the amp is under 20kgs

I have told him i wont be paying shipping cost till the amount is credit to my bank account

i do think this a scam

any advice would be great

best regards
peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

SueDenim

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:35 am

In my experience of all things e-commerce, this is just a slightly updated version of a classic scam.

Basically, anything that involves a Western Union payment to someone who you do not know personally is a big no-no as far as I'm concerned.

petermontg

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:42 am

SueDenim wrote:In my experience of all things e-commerce, this is just a slightly updated version of a classic scam.

Basically, anything that involves a Western Union payment to someone who you do not know personally is a big no-no as far as I'm concerned.
Yea i knew it was far to fishy

Steve will you move this into the scam section for us

heres the email but will change no douth

jballx3@gmail.com

Thanks
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271

Aussie0zborn

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:09 am

A definite scam!! The Paypal payment should include shipping cost. You should never pay for anything on the buyer's behalf until you have received the buyers money!

This is an old scam.

petermontg

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:57 am

Aussie0zborn wrote:A definite scam!! The Paypal payment should include shipping cost. You should never pay for anything on the buyer's behalf until you have received the buyers money!

This is an old scam.
he has included the shipping the whole payment has been locked, i mail and told him id sort out shipping price and i was aware of some western union scams, and no mail back that was a day ago, and all other mail was responded within a coupe of hours.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271

opcode66

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:09 pm

I would simply tell him to unlock the funds or cancel the payment. Tell him if neither is done in a day you will contact PayPal for possible fraud. Don't be nice to someone you don't know and who is probably trying to scam you. If this is a legitimate person then they will respond appropriately.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio