Cutting/Pressing small runs of records myself

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Vek

Cutting/Pressing small runs of records myself

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:59 am

Hey,

I'm really new to anything related to pressing or cutting my own records, but I found this place linked on some site and it seems like there are a lot of people in the know here. I would like to press or cut my own small runs (1-10) of vinyl for mostly personal use. I understand that this may not be cheap or easy. Where do I start?

Thanks!

-Vek

MEGAMIKE

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:30 am

hi vek we do them ..clik on link perthection below

cymbalism

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:51 am

Hey vek

Have a look around the site, there are a lot of great threads chock full of information regarding cutting, cutters, pressing diy and loads more - lots of guys here do cuts for people too just search for it

Happy hunting and welcome to the board!
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

MEGAMIKE

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:34 am

and yes find sombody close to you that cuts.

Vek

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:03 am

So you guys would recommend finding someone who already does it and learning from them? I'm a little overwhelmed as to where to start looking, or what I should be looking for first. I suppose equipment would be the first thing. For doing small quantities, what should I be looking to use?

MEGAMIKE

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:34 am

oh you want to make them yourself ok then...

there is plenty of info here to get you started.but if you are diy person then there is lots of fun frustrating projects to do..
the frist thing you might like to do is try to get some sort of audio on a plastic disc(poor quality but fun way of getting your first cut),
here is what i use to do years ago
..get a good turn table sl 1200 etc
find any type of plastic plate (dinnerdisposable)
make the 9mm centre hole place it on the turntable so it sticks to it (double sided tape)
next get a small speaker and the longest knitting needle you can find
glue it to the edge of the (spider) of the speaker this will vibrate the music into the needle
angle the needle onto the plate while the motor is gonig and find a way as it runs smoothly on the plate(yes this sound confusing)
practise about 60 times and you will get a good sounding cut
remmember the angle that you cut on and try to make some sort of overhead lathe thing ,run by either motor or hand crank dynamo..
this all sounds crazy but it works and you go good from there and .......
....at the end you end up buying a vinylrecorder ....
and its the best thing that has ever happen to mee..

if not into diy then save up and get a vinylrecorder or many other 2nd hand presto lathes out there.... but you need somebody to show you.... :)

piaptk

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Best advice I can give you is that unless you are pretty mechanically inclined, if you buy a lathe, get one that is GUARANTEED to be in working order. I spent a lot of money on lathes that were unfunctional and a total waste of time. You can generally get a suitcase recorder from west-techsupply.com for $500 ior lesss. That was how I got started, but beware, it is an addictive (and as previously stated) extremely frustrating hobby.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

fraggle

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:55 pm

@ piaptk
thats tru but it wouldn't be so bloody frustrating with a company which supplies black discs and stylus to reasonable prizes...
cheers

mossboss

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:01 am

Boris
Mate you are wrong in this statement I can tell you that diamonds for cutting are a no win situation in so far as charging less for them
In so far as makrolon is concerned you already know what it takes to do it
Ok say 2 tonne pay for it Get it cut store it into 7" 10" 12" diameters and wait for people to order
Pack it send it off than get left with odds and sods as you never know what people would want
I would have thought that about 20-30% is sitting on the shelves form order to order
About a 3 month supply at a time
Do youself a favour do the numbers and you will see it is a labour of love
rather than a lucrative commercial excersise
You already know that you cannot get 10 people to kick in $500 each for a bulk buy
He does it on his own
Go figure it out mate it should be more like Glad there is supply in small quantities rather than Argh these are not resonable prices
Cheers
Chris