Tricks to get more treble out of a 1D head?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cymbalism

Tricks to get more treble out of a 1D head?

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 am

Anyone know of any tricks to get more treble out of a presto 1D head? I rewired my second 6N today and put a new power switch on it and got it running beautifully but I just can't get the treble I want from that head. I'm running a 31 band eq and rolled off the highs at 16 but still lacking.

Im wondering if its something gib did when he rewired the head or something. I know ive read of the head not being that fab but theres got to be a trick to it.

Any advice is much appreciated.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

blacknwhite

Re: Tricks to get more treble out of a 1D head?

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:00 am

If you're cutting 45 rpm's, you could slow the sound on the computer down to 74% of the original speed, and cut at 33...

JayDC

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:10 am

yeah, thats what i did.. and i use a 1-C... practice with it for a while adjusting ur eq curve, and peak it.. just have a fuse on ur head so u dont kill it..