Westrex 2B on a Presto 8D

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Arcturus

Westrex 2B on a Presto 8D

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Has anyone on this forum modified a Presto 8 overhead to support a Westrex head? Or has anyone seen the results of such a mod? I think the mods would be straight forward enough. The overhead would have to be raised 2 or 3 inches and an RA-1323 Recorder Holder mounted on the carriage. The 8D overhead is supported on one side only. I am interested in knowing if it can reliably support the additional weight of a Westrex head assembly.

I have also been told that Westrex made a version of one of their heads that could be mounted on a Presto. Is this true and does anyone have pictures?

--Charles

emorritt

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:12 pm

I think Presto actually built the head with the technology licensed from Westrex. It was very different from a Westrex - actually looked more like a Neumann head. It was called the S1 and seems to be vapourware. I collect Presto equipment and have seen many of their quirky products but never an S1. I think the one in the photo on the sales paper I have is probably the only one ever made. :roll: There is a date stamp of 1959 on the sales page I have, not too long before Presto ended. If I recall it was made for the 8 series and the 14B lathe. I was too big for any of their other machines.