my "new" lathe - a Fairchild 523!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

TotalSonic

my "new" lathe - a Fairchild 523!

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Holiday Greetings Lathe Trollers!

So - ever since getting to cut sides until 5 years ago at the now closed Europadisk I've been wanting to get a lathe again as I really missed getting to do this. After lurking for a few years on various systems for sale (most that were out of my budget - such as the complete systems being offered by Al Grundy - due to the fact that I refuse to ever go in debt to get audio gear) back in mid October I found a Fairchild 523 lathe on ebay and successfully won the auction.

I have never seen another one like this - but it's a precursor to their more commonly known 740. It's definitely not as capable as a Neumann - but it's super hefty (in fact looks based on pics to be a good bit heftier than the 740) and has a number of "pro" features such as vacuum lock down on the platter, continuously variable manual pitch (with a full range of 80 - 500lpi via a single feed screw), chip pickup, 16" platter, 3 speed, inside/out and outside/in capable, built in Spencer microscope, and what looks to me like a decently designed overhead carriage system.

Thanks to Oliver Read's excellent book "The Recording and Reproduction of Sound" (available for download as a pdf - along with tons of other great stuff at - http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm ) - which includes a good bit of easily understandable intro on disk recording - I was able to find a few pages of info on my lathe:

http://www.totalsonic.net/fairchild/fairchild523.pdf

Introduced in 1952 - although since mine is 3 speed (and not just 2 speed as described in this article) as well as its higher serial number (#141) I believe this was likely made a few years after this.

I finally took a road trip this past weekend courtesy of my friend Keith who has a mini-van and was extremely generous to help me drive up to Windsor Ontario and bring the lathe back to Brooklyn.

It turns out that the previous owner was Richie Hawtin! (famous among ravers and electronic dance music enthusiasts for his 90's minimalist techno - and more recently for his productions as "Plastikman" - and in fact featured on the cover of this months' EM) - who was using it to cut dub plates for his own DJ sets. Richard has been living in Berlin and touring most of the time - so he stopped using this lathe to make dubplates about 6 years ago, and just had it in storage at his Dad's place in Windsor. His Dad wanted the work shop space back (Richie keeps collecting 80's era arcade games that take up space as well - saw a vintage Pac Man there) and Richie initially told him to "just scrap it." Luckily for me his Dad bothered with putting it up for auction instead!

The drive back home was slightly adventurous in that we got hit with a snow storm in Ohio & Michigan - but luckily my friend grew up in Syracuse NY so was used to driving in this stuff. We made stops in Cleveland the way there and in Clarion PA on the way back - with whiskey and pub& diner food to warm us up at these pit stops. Unfortunately because of the weather we decided to let discretion rule over tourism so didn't get to make a planned stop at the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame - but guess I can do this next time I'm ever up there.

The movers got it up the 2 flights of stairs (the building my studio is in was built circa 1900 and has no elevator) without incident except for a scratch on one of the wooden cases sides (not really a big deal as I figure I'm going to eventually repaint it back to something like the original black anyway).

Plugged it in and did a few basic tests a couple days ago. All 3 speeds of the turntable motor are working, motor is reasonably quiet, pitch control and carriage control is working, even the lamps on the microscope and controls are all good.
Turns out this lathe is truly continuously variable pitch (instead of discrete steps that I worried it would be) - so theoretically it could be converted to automatic pitch (although probably really difficult to do - we'll see).
It came with the chip jar and all the hoses to hook this up and for the platter lock down to the vacuum as well - and doing a quick test this with just my regular vacuum cleaner all the connections seemed to work ok. So just need to get a decent vacuum for this (any suggestions on one - especially one that runs relatively quiet - is appreciated!).

This thing has awesome torque too - it kicks in to full speed after about a second - no need to give it a push like you do on the older Neumann's - and you can push your hand hard against it and didn't seem to slow down.

Next up is that I need to add a tonearm and do some tests for wow, flutter, speed accuracy and rumble. Right now the best bang for buck solution I think I've found are the new Rek-O-Kut Transcribe arms for just under $600 - http://www.esotericsound.com/ArmsAndHeadshells.htm (although for $150 more I can get their S-260 MK II arm which includes fluid damping - which should make it able to play more difficult passages as well as minimize high freq resonances more - but don't know whether this is actually desirable on a tone arm which I will likely be checking cuts on more than using for archival transcriptions). If anyone has a tone arm that will work well with the 16" platter that they'll let go for less than this please contact me though!

After that the to next things on the to do list is: most likely building an isolation platform (to completely minimize rumble going to the platter from the floor) and also a vacuum for the platter lock down and chip pickup.

Following that I need to decide on whether to source a Gotham amp to work with the Grampian B1/AGU that is already mounted on this so that I can just get started cutting (which I'm kind of leaning towards right now) -
or to possibly delay this and put this cash instead towards sourcing a stereo head / suspension & mount / and either dedicated stereo cutter amps or just a front end of an RIAA encoder/meters/feedback controller/etc. that I can use with my own stereo amp (i.e. I have a 200 wpc Rotel RB1080 relatively clean solid state power amp just sitting around not being really used at the moment that I could possibly use towards this to get started).

Right now possible options for conversion to stereo cutter head are:
* have Len Horowitz at http://www.hrsrecords.com/ source and restore a Westrex 3D (or if he can locate one - a Haeco SC-2 which might be better for this lathe as the housing is smaller) back to original specs - quoted rate was $2100. I'm leaning towards this in that these are known to be robust and Len is easily accessible if I ever need repairs - but I'm worried with its weight and size that it wouldn't fit on the lathe without serious modifications - and that it might be too heavy for the bearings on the suspension to not end up being worn down really quick.
* try and find an Ortofon DSS 821 or 732. The weight and size of this cutter would probably make it a good bit easier to mount. The 821 would be way preferable as it specs out to being able to handle higher levels than all the other Ortofons - but I still have seen lots of posts that it still is fairly delicate and prone to getting blown out easier than the other cutter heads - and the only one I know of rewinding these is Etec in Denmark - http://www.etec.dk/ortofon-vintage.html - which I've heard is fairly expensive in their services. I know there is one of the classifieds currently - but they're kind of asking crazy money for this - so if I go this route it would have to be for cheaper than their asking of 8k euro!
* go with a Vinylium SC-99 with a VC-200 - http://www.vinylium.ch - which I was quoted at around $6900 - which might mount easier than the Westrex (although again still require me getting a custom mount made).
* wait for Flo to introduce his "Caruso" head - which at last I was quoted $1500 introductory price (including a PCB for the RIAA encoder/feedback controller that I'd have to build into my own chassis) is the least expensive rout - but at this point this is still "vaporware" and is unproven in terms of its actual sound quality.

(side note: I'm not considering a Neumann cutter head because the suspension box takes up such a big space which would make mounting extremely difficult - and because of the usual expense with these)

Any thoughts on which rout to take or if anyone has any of these items for sale are welcome. Also - any documentation on the Grampian B1 and the Fairchild 523 are also very welcome!!

Folks can pm me directly at steve at totalsonic dot net

& finally some more pics below for your perusal:

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Last edited by TotalSonic on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cymbalism

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Beautiful piece. What'd it set you back if you don't mind me asking?
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

TotalSonic

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:09 pm

cymbalism wrote:Beautiful piece. What'd it set you back if you don't mind me asking?
It went for $2425 on the ebay auction - well under what I've seen similar condition and spec'd gear go for in other auctions. I'm surprised the ebay auction for it never got linked to with a notice on the classified section here - but I'm grateful it didn't as I figure the price would have been higher otherwise!

On top of this I spent about $600 on the road trip to get it (which includes a couple nights hotel rooms, gas, tolls, food, some money for buddy who drove his van up there with me) - and another $180 for some movers to get it up the 2 flights of stairs to my studio (there's no elevator in this circa 1900 loft building my studio is in).

Best regards,
Steve Berson

fraggle

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:02 am

it has mate there is a link somewhere..

emidisc

Bargain!

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:23 am

looks a very nice machine - and a bargain,
good luck with this project.

Emidisc

drdub

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:28 am

SUPERCOOL setup !

all the bist with it .

mex
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

subkontrabob

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:31 am

what a beauty!! :D

dubcutter89

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:52 am

really nice lathe - congrats!

on your decision: maybe it would be a good start to get a simple RIAA
encoder which you hook up with your power amp. this is nothing special.
you could make it via a multiband eq, or maybe a plugin or if you go for a
professional solution then take your soldering iron, a couple of resistors
and capacitors, an opamp and make an encoder ala neumann or whatever...
since the grampian heads are no real feedback heads you don't have to
worry about that...

another possibility would be to sell me your cutter, make me happy and
save up some money for a stereo one ;-)

all the best with it!

Lukas

markrob

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi,

Very nice lathe! Congrats. If you want a copy of my IRIAA plugin, just PM me with your email and I'll send it your way. Its VST format and runs on a PC platform.

Mark

Aussie0zborn

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:27 am

Very nice Steve. Enjoy!

Prestofan

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi: I PM'd you on this lathe. I am the one who re-built and made the panel with the meters and controls. I sold it somewhere in the early 2000's. If you want some history, PM me.

Alan

concretecowboy71

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Looks like a very cool piece! If you ever come through cleveland again,let me know and I will be happy to show you around!

Gotta Groove is worth walking through and my shop is in Cleveland also!
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

bancho

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:25 am

first: congrats, very nice indeed!
second: I see the platter has some holes and suction system for holding the blank. The platter doesn't look so thick... something like presto 8D maybe? How is it made? Do you (or anybody else) has some schematics of the platter? How do you change the suction between different diameters?

TotalSonic

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement!

Alan (Prestofan) - thanks so much for chiming in here - I sent you a reply to both your direct email and also your inbox here.

Bancho - I don't know the details of the platter construction. One person I talked to who had formerly owned a 523 mentioned that it's possible that the platter had been replaced and wasn't original stock (edit: found out that this platter was in fact stock). Looks to me like aluminum. There's no control for vacuum width - the center pin is hollow which is where you place the suction tube which then applies vacuum into the platter - and then you use plugs to cover up any holes which aren't covered by the disc you have placed on the platter. I'll measure the platter thickness and post this if you are truly curious when I'm back in the studio after the holiday break.

"ConcreteCowboy" - I'll definitely take you up your offer of a tour of Gotta Groove and your studio when I'm next in Cleveland! I used to be a production manager for the vinyl pressing department at the now closed Europadisk so I've seen plenty of record pressing in action before but it's still always fun for me to check out other plants.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

fusionkid

Wow and flutter

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:31 am

Hey TotalSonic, great bit of kit, in your first post........
"Next up is that I need to add a tonearm and do some tests for wow, flutter, speed accuracy and rumble."
I have a wow and flutter meter, using 3/3.15kHz test frequency, but i have not been able to find anyone to supply a proper test disc, do you have a supplier? Or does anyone know if anyone has the capabilities of making testing/reference discs?
Good luck with your new kit!
FusionKid[/quote]

TotalSonic

Re: Wow and flutter

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:58 pm

fusionkid wrote: i have not been able to find anyone to supply a proper test disc, do you have a supplier?
Well the best one to get is the NAB test disc - but this is fairly rare to find (although one does pop up on ebay from time to time). Otherwise the "Ultimate Analogue Test LP" from http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=APLPTEST (and a number of other vendors) while not in as close tolerances as the NAB disc can certainly get you started (and is in fact what I have) and is available for reasonable cash.
Good luck with your new kit!
FusionKid
Thanks! Just order the Rek-O-Kut Transcribe tone arm and a Hoover commercial vacuum - so once these arrive next step is to install them. Also on the priority chore list is a good cleaning and lube job for the feedscrew and bearings.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Aussie0zborn

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:13 am

Just noticed that Hamilton (who we haven't heard from for a while) has a Fairchild 740 lathe with Vinylium SC999 cutterhead.

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=1938&highlight=&mforum=lathetrolls