SPAM...

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

SPAM...

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Spam seems to be pickin up around here. Steve, if you need another moderator, I'd be happy to delete some of it.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

bancho

Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:23 pm

really? I didn't notice.
about a year ago (maybe more) there was a lot of spam indeed.
but now?
I haven't seen it. REALLY

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:07 am

If you didn't see it, it's because the moderators were on top of it, but yeah, it got bad all of a sudden. Sorry, I was asleep at the wheel there. And P, thanks for the offer, we can message on this.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:17 am

Something scary is going on.....suddenly, in the last few days, a TON of people are signing up and most are spammers. It is once again time to talk about migrating this site somewhere else. suggestions?

fraggle

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:02 am

this is weird do you think this is some sort of software?
I mean i can hardly imagine people actually register manually though..

SueDenim

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:25 am

From experience I'm almost 100% sure that the spam we are seeing recently is generated by an automated application running on one (or several) botnets.
Such applications are set up to search the internet for PHPBB driven forums, create accounts and then hit them with a selection of juicy spam :(

bancho

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:12 am

maybe the solution:
every new member must be confirmed by moderator to sign up... maybe with some introduction... :roll:

what do you think?

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Yep. it's a drag. I changed settings so I would personally have to activate new members, and immediately received 14 requests in my inbox. and that's after just 12 hours. These people are showing up in the memberlist already, they just aren't activated.

The problem is: The software of our host site doesn't make it easy enough to delete members. I can't just go down the list, check off names, and do a massive zap. Each one takes several seconds, maybe up to a half minute, so if we get flooded, I end up losing massive chunks of my day.

I've been control-freakish about controlling member deletion, but I am now willing to open this up to the other mods if they are up for helping with this.
Last edited by Steve E. on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SueDenim

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Although I'm not a mod, I have to agree that giving them permissions to delete accounts would be a wise move.

Most of our mods are on the site at least once every other day - Being able to see some obvious spam and delete the account immediately would aid this problem immensely.
Then there wouldn't be a build up that takes half of Steve's day to sort out! :evil: