Vinyl Recorder - few tips needed (Solved, thanks!)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

teas

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:55 am

All right, thank you JayDC and opcode66.

In other words, the amp drives the driving coil
and the feedback coil is generating a voltage, especially in the resonance range of the cutterhead.

This voltage goes to the amp and gets summed in small amounts with the drive signal, so that the resonances gets canceled.

Think i got it and know what its good for.
Thank you

JayDC

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:03 pm

the feedback coils are out of phase of the drive coils.

so phase cancellation kills the head resonances, sort of error correction, to make sure the head is outputting a more correct representation of the source material..

teas

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:09 pm

JayDC wrote:the feedback coils are out of phase of the drive coils.

so phase cancellation kills the head resonances, sort of error correction, to make sure the head is outputting a more correct representation of the source material..
right i forgot to mention

subkontrabob

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:59 am

JayDC wrote:the feedback coils are out of phase of the drive coils.

A little more nitpicking:

Out of phase and phase shift are general terms that can mean any amount of phase difference between two signals.

Like opcode pointed out, the feedback coils are connected back with switched polarity, which is a special case of "out of phase" (180°), because it is not time-based and applies to all frequencies equally.

The cutterheads electromechanical system will add a little more "delay" = phase shift.

Factorcuts

VR debate

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 am

I own a VR with lots of extras, im about to get a tecnics sp10,
I have had no complaints, most of my customers are either college students doing a thesis on sound or djs, or people archiving bootlegs of bands such as the greatful dead. I have heard more wow and flutter on plates ive purchased...my current 1210 does flutter, but the more heat on the steal plate helps...the sp10 will rock.
When I eventually move up to a VMS? System im sure i will kill it!
Bottom line...for the price and skill aquisition...VR is the shizzle!

fraggle

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:34 am

There are lot's of pro and contras.
fact is that lot's of people in germany still think dubplates sound shit, dull and noisy.If you speak german just google and you find lot's of disappointed people.I wonder what kind of equipment they got their records cut on....
That's a fact I'm not joking.
Cheers

maniman

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 am

montalbano wrote: I would like to see some VMS "Gods" cutting with the VR ... back to basics WTF
He he he , is like to see Steve Vai with and Classic Spanish Guitar (?? Crossroads was the movie ??)

( How can sound Paco de Lucia using an Ibanez Jem with a 5K $ mega-stack of effects and preamps ?? )

I guess the "old school" sound are the full analog audio chain result , is the basic of cascading equipment (Here lot of people knows better than me) , "The chain is so hard as the weakest link in the chain" , and the digital recordings are directly guilty of this , a mediocre digital mix even with and VMS as final link of the chain is a mediocre mix.

But is only my opinion , and as analog lover cant be objective.
Regards