Soundforge pitch adjust

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cymbalism

Soundforge pitch adjust

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:40 am

I read before on here about slowing a master down 74% and cutting at 33 to achieve 45 speed but I can't for the life of me figure out where on the pitch adjust settings on soundforge to get it just right.

Any try this? I figured it out on the 6n I have which runs too fast but not on the one that is dead on pitch at 33

Any advice is appreciated. I tried two 45 shank adapters and neither one will fit the shaft on my second lathe, don't know why that is either as they both work on my other 6n

Thanks guys!
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

JayDC

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:44 am

There is a formula for calculation of the sample rate, based on the original sample rate and lathe speed..

sample rate / play speed x recording speed

if u want to cut a 44.1k audio file at 33.3rpm for play back at 45rpm [44100 / 45rpm x 33.3rpm], the new sample rate of the file would equal 32634

you will need to adjust your recording eq curve, this process drops all the frequencies while its playing slower...

imo this is the best solution for non-feedback mono heads, since you are able to reclaim some of the high-end, and the loss of bass is so low in the frequency range, the human ear isn't missing anything..

on a proper setup this will yield a righter result, and a higher frequency response on play back..