Help identifying my Presto record lathe

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

vichighmathguy

Help identifying my Presto record lathe

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer to this forum and have acquired a Presto record lathe. I would greatly appreciate your help in identifying what model it is that I have and would also appreciate any other comments you might have regarding completeness or whatever. I have posted some pictures here for those that are interested:

http://web.me.com/vichighmathguy/Record_Players/Presto_Lathe.html

Thank you very much in advance for your comments.

Don

Prestofan

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:16 am

You have the Presto model 75A lathe with some other brand of overhead mechanism. The label on the head has been removed, so I can't tell if it is the 1C or 1D head. The 1D replaced the 1C about 1940 and has a better frequency response. You should have the head re-magnetized if not completely re-built. Since the presto under turntable gear stuff has no ability for run in or run out grooves, the overhead lathe would be better to use. It looks like it has the Presto head mounting bracket OK.
For more information on Presto - see the Presto History Page. If you need any more information, PM me.
Alan Graves

Kris D

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:11 am

Hi
The overhead is a Rek O Kut master pro. Looks like paint has been stripped off. A decent arm, similar to 6n. There is a manual for it in circuits and schematics forum.

Kris