Original price tag of a VMS70???

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Original price tag of a VMS70???

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:44 pm

More out of curiousity than anything else... Just wondering what a new VMS70 would have cost a studio back in the 70's? Anyone know?
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

mossboss

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Hey Opcode
This was posted on the 19th of January just after a post of yours mate

On another point
A VMS system that I happen to own that was supplied to RCA in 1975 new from Neumann in Germany
It costed them $478,000 US dollars
Today that would translate to quite a few MILLION

So did you not see it???
Money was no object in so far as record manufacturers where concerned in those days gone
That is how it seeems to me any way
Be that as it may There are suggestions that Neumann never made any money in that division
They where and are still creaming it in microphones by the way the company has changed control over the years
The last time I looked at they history on the web it seems that is now back in control of the Neumann family's hands, once again that is
Cheers
Chris

opcode66

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:42 pm

I think I missed that post. WOW! Makes me feel even more blessed! :D
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Bonati

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:59 pm

I had also heard that the Neumann disc cutting division never made any money for the company. I can see why - I'm still using this VMS70 today and I hope to keep it running for much longer. Apparently I saved $450,000 by not buying it in 1975.