tubing for suction system?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

tubing for suction system?

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:03 am

What kind of tubing does everyone use for their suction system? I was using clear rubber tubing, but it seemed like the static built up pretty bad, so I switched to (i think) vinyl medical tubing (WAY more expensive), but it seems like things still get stuck inside of it. I can generally clear it by stretching it and breaking up the blockage, but it's a pain because it happens pretty much every record...... any advice?

fraggle

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:35 am

hmm i used to have that when i used a normal vacuum cleaner which is a real pain.
can you see moisture building up inside?
i had that problem for a while..
cheers

piaptk

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:54 am

I'm using a pump which I assume was specifically designed for a lathe... it came from a guy that was selling VMS70 stuff... it is definitely designed to be used with a swarf jar, because it doesn't have any kind of bag system to hold the stuff being sucked in. It's just a particle board box with a vacuum inside... relatively low noise.

I'm also cutting plastic, and as I cut, it generally doesn't suck it up until a small clump of plastic has accumulated, then it gets pulled up in the tube, which seems to be part of the problem.

petermontg

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:52 am

there was a post before about putting talcum powder down the tube first
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

cymbalism

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:51 pm

It could be due to the angle of the chip nozzle being vertical in correlation to the poly chip and static. My vacuum set up is a little shop vac attached to a chip jar and clear plastic tubing going to a brass nozzle which is at a 45 degree angle up then perfectly horizontal near the stylus and I don't have any swarf issues. I replace the tubing once it starts getting gunked up but that's usually after a few months of swarf accumulation.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

piaptk

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Yeah, good call, Tommie. My setup is pretty ghetto and just has the tubing kind of slackedly snaking down off the lathe and up into the swarf jar.

concretecowboy71

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Latex surgical tubing here. It has a very slick interior and can be kind of hard to cut, but not many problems. Used talcum once.

Check this link:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24741&catid=623

Hope this helps.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

piaptk

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 pm

concretecowboy71 wrote:Latex surgical tubing here. It has a very slick interior and can be kind of hard to cut, but not many problems. Used talcum once.

Check this link:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24741&catid=623

Hope this helps.
Yeah, that is the stuff I'm using already. I think it's just because I don't have verything set up right. I think if I realign everything it will work better.