RCA MI-11850C Cutting Head

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

emorritt

RCA MI-11850C Cutting Head

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:18 am

Does anyone have any information on the RCA MI-11850C cutter? I came across one that's NOS, but without literature. It has a plug with 4 pins so I'm assuming mono with feedback, but not sure. Haven't disassembled it to look at the coils or wiring yet since I have no lit on it. This is the long, gray head that was sold with the lathe attachment for the 70-D (and other) turntables. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks.

flozki

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:34 pm

i have the same headd. it is a non feedback, moving iron head with internal rc-network for electrical matching. about the 4pin plug. 2 are for the drive coil, 2 are for the heating wires....

JayDC

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:30 am

I'm looking at one of these, do they sound better, or are they more durable then presto heads? Do you know what styli fits this head.

emorritt

RCA cutter

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:02 pm

I've used one of these heads and they're OK, but not as good as a Grampian feedback head. They were primarily for radio transcriptions. The head takes a short shank sapphire like Transco's 362 (or a 462 cut off). I usually order their 462's and cut them for short shank heads.

grooveguy

RCA MI-11850-C

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:02 pm

The RCA MI-11850-C cutterhead has passing mention in the 1952 book, The Recording and Reproduction of Sound by Oliver Read. This was my 'bible' and wish book when I was in Jr. Hi school in the '50s. The cutterhead illustrated seems to be a horizontally-mounted head to fit the RCA 73-B lathe, although it may also have been made available in a more standard vertical format to fit other lathes. The head has a built-in heater and thermostat to keep the damping material at a uniform temperature and consistency (the other two wires). Response is claimed to be ±2dB, 30Hz-10kHz.

emorritt

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:48 am

I actually have need to set this head up; anyone know how much voltage/current to put on the damping heater pins?

grooveguy

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:08 pm

Hey, emorritt, I can help here. The Oliver Read book I cited earlier has a schematic of the RCA deck and shows a 6-volt transformer supplying power to the heater in the head. The same transformer also drives two pilot lights, one of which may be part of the Spencer microscope mounted on the RCA 73B lathe. I could scan this page and e-mail it if you give me an e-mail address.

The schematic also shows a 7-ohm resistor that can be switched in series with the head heater. The switch is simply labeled HI - OFF - LO. There is nothing in Read's text to tell when the heater would have been switched off, maybe on hot summer days? I would assume the HI and LO settings are for different environments also; the LO setting keeping the thermostat from cycling the heater on and off too frequently.

Although RCA was smart to make this heater part of the cutterhead, most of the damping materials used in those days were fairly temperature-stable, and probably really had to be heated up only when used in cold environments.

billion

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 pm

grooveguy wrote:Hey, emorritt, I can help here. The Oliver Read book I cited earlier has a schematic of the RCA deck and shows a 6-volt transformer supplying power to the heater in the head. The same transformer also drives two pilot lights, one of which may be part of the Spencer microscope mounted on the RCA 73B lathe. I could scan this page and e-mail it if you give me an e-mail address.

The schematic also shows a 7-ohm resistor that can be switched in series with the head heater. The switch is simply labeled HI - OFF - LO. There is nothing in Read's text to tell when the heater would have been switched off, maybe on hot summer days? I would assume the HI and LO settings are for different environments also; the LO setting keeping the thermostat from cycling the heater on and off too frequently.

Although RCA was smart to make this heater part of the cutterhead, most of the damping materials used in those days were fairly temperature-stable, and probably really had to be heated up only when used in cold environments.
Hello! I see that you have information about RCA 73B. I have big problem with adjustment this recorder... Please send me on email (send in pm) any information about RCA 73B and record head MI-11850. I shall very much thanked you! Beforehand thanks!!!