Sp15 for cutting

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Factorcuts

Sp15 for cutting

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Hello, I am acquiring a couple of these units, sp15 by technics and plan on using for cutting with my VR setup, any comments or help?
Thanks,
Factor

opcode66

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Which mark? The MK3's are the superior torque models.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

opcode66

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Ooops, sorry. Read too fast. You said sp15, not sp10....

The sp10 has the three different models (orig, mk2, mk3). The mk3 has the superior torque in that family. sp15 has 3.5 kg-cm. sp10 mk3 is 10 kg-cm.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

Factorcuts

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:05 pm

From what I understand the sp15 has half the torque of a sp10 mk2, a third or so of a sp10mk3 and almost twice as much as a 1210. But Ive been talking to some turntable guys, and the sp10 mk2 has more issues with breakdown, and the sp15 is more reliable. Of course I want a sp10mk3, but they are very rare and until one pops up...I have considered the sp10 mk2 but for the price of one, I can get 3 mint sp15's...
From what I have gathered so far the SP model is the basis for the neumann lathe...
Will the sp15 be enough cutting torque for vinyl(poly markolon ect) and laquers to end wow and flutter?
Ive talked to one reliable source who loves there sp15 setup with a sx74 head...

opcode66

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Well, the VMS80 uses an SP02. But, don't think that an sp10 or sp15 motor is anywhere near the size. I think that is comparing apples to oranges.

Prior to that the motor used on a Neumann lathe going back to the 50's models were Lyric motors.

Mine weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 or 100 pounds. It is a beast. Never seen an sp02 but it has to be similar. Obviously way outclasses what was in broadcast or home gear.

Factorcuts

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Yeah the SP02 is the model, deffinetly not a sp10!
I just want to create a hybrid version of a neumann lathe that satisfies not only me and my customers but potentially everyone...and a sp15 is a improvement over the 1210! I guess what I am really wondering is it a waste of time to go with a sp15 at all? Or just go for a sp10 mk2? Or does the difference between the two really make no difference for what im using it for?

opcode66

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Ok, here's my answer. Take it for what it's worth because I never went the Vinylium/Vinyl Recorder route. I decided to save and buy the beast.

Plenty of Trolls cut with a VR on a Technics 1200/1210 with mod to add a minor amount of torque. No mod and you've got 1.5 kg-cm of torque. With mod and maybe you can get up to 2.0 kg-cm of torque.

The sp15 will give you 3.5 kg-cm of torque. So, that is 1.5 better than what a lot of people currently use. Is it the 10 kg-cm that the sp10 mk3 can provide? No. Is it good, sure.

I don't know what the external motor and precision plate that Souri makes will add to the equation. I do know that that kit is meant to resolve this exact issue. Not enough torque = flutter. No way around it. I love my vms. Rock solid tones. It's great. But, I paid for it.

I think you will make cuts on an sp15 that your customers will be ok with. Guys like Montalbano will back me up on this I imagine. If you are looking to setup more than one home brew lathe, three working sp15 in "mint" condition sound like a good start. All of them come with power supplies?

Don't forget that this is a comitment. If you dig it you will get sucked in hard. You can and will upgrade your gear as time progresses. You don't have to have the perfect setup from square one. I started by restoring a mono RCA 78rpm suitcase cutter based on tubes.

Factorcuts

Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Ive already been cutting for a year! Ive sold lots of plates and nobody ever complaints, but i want it to be way better...
The external motor, souri says its better to get a better drive...ive talked to some others about it before also, get a better DD is the answer!
Yes three sp15's all mint for sure, and possibly a mint sp10 mk2! So i will be up to my ears in turntables soon, add that to my 4 1210's...eventually the mk3 and im set!