RCA lathes

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dietrich10

RCA lathes

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:05 am

Anyone experience using these?
Curious if could mod a Haeco stereo head on one.
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

Kris D

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi- The RCA 73b was originally equiped with a lay down type cutter and has a pretty tight clearance between overhead carrage and platter. The older style Haeco that looks like a pack of smokes might work. The Westrex clone would be a tough one. I have seen the old style head mounted on a presto 8d with the overhead tower lifted to make more room. I would bet one could have new mounting bracket made if the overhead can take the weight. The smaller/earlier/lighter Haeco would be easier to mount but I have not heard the best things about it's performance.
My friend owns one of the early Haeco stereo heads that was later converted to run without feedback and uses Ferro fluid for dampening!!
We have never cut with this but apparently the previous owner did, cutting at double speed to overcome resonance issues!! Crazy!
Good luck - Kris

dietrich10

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks Kris.

I will not have the lathe with me for another two weeks
Modified 73b with grampian b/d and gotham amps
cutting lacquers-vms70 system