Neumann ES59

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JayDC

Neumann ES59

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:37 am

Anyone have experience with this head? Anything i should know/beware of? is $900 a good price if its from len horwitz?

Len says this is the best head at this time for my presto, I am not sure if I should upgrade now, or just wait for flo's caruso, or do both?

TotalSonic

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

Mono feedback cutterhead with the reputation (along with the Westrex2B and Ortofon DSS 522) as being one of the best sounding mono cutter heads ever made. I've never used it directly though so I can only report second hand info on this.

Len Horowitz has been super generous to me definitely knows his stuff - in fact I'd say he's the best expert on Westrex/Haeco/Scully equipment in the USA right now. I've also found he prices his stuff incredibly fairly relative to general market prices.

Best regards,
Steve Berson