replacement motors

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

TotalSonic

replacement motors

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:09 pm

So - the original motor in my Fairchild 523, while working, is just way too noisy - and looking into it seems it will be way more effective to just replace it with a modern motor rather than to try and restore it. Talking with my tech he seems to think we can also get more accurate speed calibration just replacing it with a DC motor (that we are going to separately shock mount rather than having it on the same plate as the turntable shaft) and grabbing a PLL controls off an unused turntable (of which I have a few).

So - I'm looking for recommendations for a DC motor that can run super-quiet, operate at 2000rpm minimum, 1/2 horsepower or above. Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

JayDC

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:01 pm

if you do this, please forward the parts list, including where you pulled the speed electronics from.... I would love to do the same with mine..

I actually just applied a layer of dynamat extreme to the top and bottom of the platter on my 6n, and that seems to kill 99% of the motor noise.

I would love to have nice crystal control speed thats always stable...
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

TotalSonic

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Jay -
I'll definitely post back when I get this done. It's the next thing on the "to do list" for the lathe in fact.

I decided to delay conversion to a stereo head since the logicstics to do this look like they are being very intensive and time consuming and instead bought a Gotham PFB-150WA to go with the Grampian B1/AGU that came with the lathe. But getting a new motor happening is definitely a must do if I want to be able to cut anything actually playable - so the plan is to make this happen sooner rather than later.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

JayDC

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:25 pm

well don't underestimate the power of the dynamat stuff, a friend of mine that does car audio recommended it.. I think I'm going to apply from of the scraps to the actual motor. Then I might get another sheet to do the inside of the case..

Since yours is a console mounted lathe, I would highly recommend using dynamat on the inside of the case, it will help kill outside vibrations that are creeping into your recordings...

dynamat, some sort of dampening suspension to mount the console on, and a new motor should yield a mastering lathe.. add a caruso head when they are ready, and your in business..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P