need help with RCA MI-4877 cutter

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

johnnylaclar

need help with RCA MI-4877 cutter

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Everyone.

I have most of an old RCA overhead cutter.
Model: MI-4877
Type: 72-C
Head: MI-4887

I have the overhead carriage mechanism which seems complete and the head so far seems to be working. The feedscrew appears to be a very course thread and drives the head inside-out. I think this was made to cut 16".

I am trying to drive this with a Numark TTX turntable, but I'm having some trouble getting things mounted and aligned. Mainly, I don't know if the weight of the cutter carriage should rest on the spindle of the turntable or not. (or should there be a support bar that carries the load, and the spindle is more for guidance.)
The TTX spindle is pointed rather than rounded and I think that may be screwing things up..but this is all speculation.

Does anyone have photos, brochures, schematics or info for this make? Has anyone retrofitted one of these? I think even a photo of a complete unit will help me.

Much Appreciation to this community!
Jeremy

JayDC

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:37 pm

do not thing that turntable has enough power to turn the overhead, a Technics 1200 doesn't even have the power..

one end of the over head goes to the center pin of the platter, the other side is mounted to a base.

if you decide to sell your head for any reason, contact me in private.

The only way to do what you want to do is to get a better turntable *technics sp10mk3 or sp15* and find a variable speed low rpm high torque motor and speed control to mount to the over head. It a little involved of a project, and could cost some money, but you would have a nice cutting system with variable pitch width like more modern lathes use.

not an impossible task, if your patient and have some money.. There are easier ways tho.
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

johnnylaclar

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:36 pm

the TTX drives everything quite well so far (although the digital pitch control on the deck has suffered as a result.)
a nice new motor would be a sweet way to go for sure -and I would worry less about noise from the ttmotor getting into the recordings. but I'll have to get much more crafty about mounting.

thanks for the reply.

JayDC

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:20 pm

I dunno if you taking into account the drag from the stylus when cutting..

johnnylaclar

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:51 am

jay-
you're right; I haven't gotten that far yet. only tried to simulate drag with my fingertip.

JayDC

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:27 am

my presto has enough torque to seriously hurt your arm, if you held the platter and turned it on. My technics don't even come close.. I have heard complaints on systems that have high fidelity but use a DJ turntable, usually because of the turntable. The vinyl recorders guys have an optional high torque turntable for their system, and the kingston dubcutter has a modification to get more torque from the 1200..

from what I've learned over the years from reading this forum, for what you would like to do, nothing beats a technics sp10mk3

This is what your overhead goes to:

opcode66

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:41 am

Yep, JayDC is correct. High torque = Low Flutter. That's what you want.

Cutting on a technics (1.5 kg-cm), even with the resistor mod (2.0 kg-cm), just isn't enough torque to avoid audible flutter.

An sp02 mk3 provides 10 kg-cm of torque. That is a lot! An Sp03 will give you 3.5 kg-cm. Those are the numbers though.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

johnnylaclar

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am

it seems I can get into a variable speed dc motor to drive the overhead pretty reasonably, but damn those sp10's are pricey!!

I have the motor and platter from an old meissner suitcase model. It would do the job, but I want to get away from the idler wheels if possible. I don't think I could ever figure out the math to make pulleys and whatnot.

Thanks for the help (and the pic -that's a beast of a unit.) -I'll keep picking away at this.