Presto 6N users - replacing rubber on spindle gear

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cymbalism

Presto 6N users - replacing rubber on spindle gear

Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:03 am

Anyone ever replace the rubber on the bottom of the cutting arm where it connects with the spindle on the platter?

One of mine has a tiny chip missing and from time to time it leaves a mark on the center on the records. Not a big deal for labels cover it but on some projects with no labels it shows up every once in a great while.

Any help is appreciated
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

Kris D

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Tommie -
I use the same rubber as for the platter mat.
Take an old 3 hole dub and set it on top of the rubber and punch the holes out with a rubber punch. Cut to a circle a bit larger than the flange Remove all excess residue from bottom of flange and either glue or double side tape on the rubber piece. Set the flange in place on a scrap disk and trim around the edge with a razor blade. You can also use cork mats from reel to reel tape machine turntables. They are the proper hole pattern and are adhesive on the back, they still require trimming.

- Kris

JayDC

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:49 pm

a piece of sorbothane would work..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P