Record Store Day

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Record Store Day

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:31 am

What? No threads about Record Store Day??

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

cymbalism

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:25 pm

I cut some 5"s for a guy for record store day - i forget where he is located but I only had one request from someone to have them in their hands by today.

Personally I had a local store selling my first fear of music release, have no idea if they sold any or not but I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later. I was going to do an in store cutting expo but they didn't get back to me in time so possibly in the summer when they do this again I will.

I scored a ton of really great stuff today too. The limited White Stripes colored 7"s, Flaming Lips box set, Televison live double lp, Skip James, Nirvana, Deftones, Pink Floyd, 13 Floor Elevators, Deerhunter, Bad Brains, Beady Eye box set, Gorillaz, Foo Fighters - that caps my purchases. I had the Stones, Velvet Underground, Yardbirds, Dennis Coffy, Silverstein and Ryan Adams 7"s in my hands but a few guys wanted them so I let them buy em.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Awesome. I got:

Beach Boys Smile 78s (I got two copies, amorally enough. One for my hand cranked HMV 101, sacreligious as that may be...to be played w a cactus needle. I figure I am one of the very few people who will actually play the thing at all. So far, on my Presto 6N, it sounds amazing.)

Bad Brains

Mike Gordon, LP and single

Bob Dylan....Witmark demo single, Brandeis album

Regina Spektor EP

Roy Orbison single

New York Dolls (reformed recent version of band) single

Vanguard psychedelia collection ("Follow me down")

Hendrix...I actually got the CD single on that one

I felt greedy, and I'm a little too poor to be doing this stuff, but some of these are gifts for friends.

While I was at it, I got some other vinyl releases, and bumped into a friend and bought his single. :)

mossboss

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Polyester in Melbourne Australia Not Florida USA :) was Flat out with people streaming in and out of the Brunswick street store
There was a large gathering of people milling around outside exchanging notes showing each other their latest acquisitions
Unfortunatelly the vested interest's here split the Record Day in to two camps for some reasons unknown to me, so promotion was a bit hit and miss
The die hards knew about so they where out in force visiting stores
I am sure they will get their act together in the future for a better promoting effort for the day
Cheers
Chris

Jesus H Chrysler

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:27 pm

I started a thread in the events/ gigs section... guess no one saw it.
but I too picked up the Beach Boys 78's ( I play theremin, how could I pas up a new release of Good Vibrations?) and some other non RSD releases that were on sale: a comp of indian psych funk/bollywood music (which is awesome) an Acid Mothers Temple and the Melting Paraiso UFO record and a dvd documentary on Friends Forever (If you don't know about them, they play all of their shows on the street/parking lot/ wherever from their van). I haven't watched it yet, but some friends of mine have seen them play a few times and say their shows are ridiculously awesome.

Jesus H Chrysler

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Steve E. wrote:Awesome. I got:
I figure I am one of the very few people who will actually play the thing at all. So far, on my Presto 6N, it sounds amazing.)
count me among the few too. :) mine sounded great on my old pilot/garrard combo.

blacknwhite

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Steve E. wrote:Awesome. I got:

Beach Boys Smile 78s (I got two copies, amorally enough. One for my hand cranked HMV 101, sacreligious as that may be...to be played w a cactus needle.
Please post to youtube & post the link here :-)

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:31 am

I may not play it on the ol' HMV....I think it's a microgroove cut. It certainly has narrow lines per inch and probably wouldn't track well.