How Long Will an Apollo "Dub" Last ?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

malatesta

How Long Will an Apollo "Dub" Last ?

Mon May 09, 2011 7:01 pm

I wonder how many time is possible to playback a dub that is been cutted with a ruby stylus, mono head. The Dub himself come from Apollo, and I cutted with my lathe, sound nice but for how long?

cymbalism

Re: dub

Mon May 09, 2011 7:10 pm

malatesta wrote:I wonder how many time is possible to playback a dub that is been cutted with a ruby stylus, mono head. The Dub himself come from Apollo, and I cutted with my lathe, sound nice but for how long?
Depends on how heavy handed you are, what tracking force you are playing back with, how old your stylus are on your tables and overall care you take of it. I have dubs Alan Graves cut for me from back in 97-98 and they still play today only with a little surface noise now.

Just care for it and it should last for awhile
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

powerstrip

Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 pm

yeah i second that one; I dont know how the rumors got started like dubs would just burn out after 25 plays. ...must have been some anti-vinyl propaganda put out there by the digital music industry... I believed it as much as anyone else until I was able to cut my first dubs. Just reduce tonearm weight as much as you can (without letting it jump the groove that is), and be very careful not to scratch the surface as you handle it. I felt my pinkie nail graze the surface of a 10' I had cut and I could not only see the scratch immediately, but it also came out in the music. It has worked itself out a bit after a few plays though.

Here is a good way to answer the question once and for all: cut locked grooves and see how long it takes for those to deteriorate. I know someone who does this, he plays them often and they don't seem to deteriorate quickly. This is a true testament to dubplates durability