Presto K10 some questions

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

maniman

Presto K10 some questions

Tue May 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Get a K10 and have thousand of questions , try to minimize to one post. Here we go ...

-Comes without playback cartridge or needle.
What kind of stylus / cartridge ? what correction must have ?

-If the amp works from RADIO to SPEAKER must understand the amp acting as cutting amp works too ? (few time ago I talked about this with someone but cannot remember with who...)

-I read (near decrypt) and try to understand the schemas (a lot lot of imagination) of the manual that round over here.... HOW F*C*I*G SWITCH TO 33 rpm? (the B13 switch in the manual schema are something like a few odd pixels in a A4 desert , pic of both positions is very very grateful , not understand at all that 2 positions system )

-Ok , the speaker is missing too , as far as I know is a Jensen cone (like the guitar amps one ?) , whats the original speaker impedance ? wattiage ?

-Must lubricate the motor inside as the manual suggest ? ballistol is right for that ?

-I've got a 1C head too , are very different from that one? represents a substantial improvement of the recording stylus / blank that can use ?
( With that head can cut something similar to a record if cannot be cutted with the original head?... not take care if the head is high or low impedance or if the K10 amp its enought )

-And when all that "little details" be ok , what ? , what recording stylus / blank can get ? ( In other words can use a blank ? I do not mean a picnic plate or xray films...a relatively near a record blank ? like audiodisc ? audiodscs an presto blanks are similar , switchable maybe ? , nothing common ?)

Is a present for a friend that djing , and as troll its my first year final exam , cut on xray films , picnic plates, etc will be 9 points (for me are 10 points , my example is to illustrate the idea of the "record like", not to disparage these alternative formats , would be fully valid if the machine would be for me...) , cut a blank or audiodisc etc will be absolutely perfect as hard to forget present and "my first lathe" for that friend.

PD : I know is a Hard-to-read post , not really urgent , answer in parts , when bored someday... Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Mani
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

Jesus H Chrysler

Wed May 11, 2011 11:50 pm

In order:
I wouldn't use it as a playback device. The arms that come with it track pretty heavy and would likely cause excessive wear, especially on something as fragile as a lacquer or dubplate. If You have another turntable, use it.

yes. If the amp works a speaker it will work a cutterhead.

K-10 will only run 33 or 78. the way it's designed the motor shaft sits right up against the platter rim. the naked motor shaft will spin it at 33. there is a brass bushing that slides onto the shaft to change the ratio so it wll spin at 78.

Unless you're restoring it or plan to use it for playback, I wouldn't worry about the speaker, you don't need it while cutting, it's too loud.

The 1-c is a good head. it's what I use on my k-10. they are usually 15 or 500 ohms. this number should be stamped on the case. the k-10 can handle a 15 ohm but i don't think it would do well with a 500.

for stylus, the 1-c takes the long shank presto/fairchild stylus...I forget the stock # but I'm sure someone will chime in

It will cut a decent sounding lacquer, not as loud as commercial of course, and mono, but it can sound good.

good luck

maniman

Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks to take your time in answer , the 1C impedance aren't a problem , I have both (one better conserved but both works) 15 and 500 ohms.
It will cut a decent sounding lacquer, not as loud as commercial of course, and mono, but it can sound good.
That is what exactly wanna heard ... You refer to the 462 shank , true ?

Thanks for the info man.

Best Regards
Mani

maniman

Sun May 15, 2011 7:56 am

Oh ok !! , today I saw the pic where can see what happen well... how de-attach that actuall shaft , only the allen screw and take out ?

that long ...

is the 78 true ?

if the the other one is missing (not under) , how can get it ? someone have schemas / dimensions of how can rework the piece ? the same material is strictly necessary ? probably I can mechanize something similar with inox , but I need to ask .

Best Regards
Mani

Jesus H Chrysler

Sun May 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Yes that is the 78 rpm adaptor. you should be able to just pull that straight off. If it's been on there for some years it may require some force or lubrication to get it loose. Once it's off just loosen the thumbscrews on the motor mount and slide it in to contact the platter.

maniman

Mon May 16, 2011 3:50 am

Achieved , mother#%?%* shaft , the most incrusted metal piece ever seen.

Thanks a lot.

Mani