How much to pay for a used ADAT? (USA)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

How much to pay for a used ADAT? (USA)

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:10 pm

A longtime musician friend is moving from New York to the UK and is having a moving sale. He is selling his ADAT machine. "For you, $100." He just transferred several hours of 10-year-old ADAT tapes from it, so it appears to be working just fine.

I am considering buying it, with the idea of having it on-hand to transfer my own old studio tapes (as in, maybe, 5 tapes), plus to offer it as a data-transfer service to NYC musicians; though I have no idea whether there is any demand.

Is $100 a fair price for a known-to-be-working ADAT machine? Should I talk him down? how much are they going for these days?

Understand, I have no intention of using it for recording new material.

JayDC

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:33 pm

yes, 100 is a good price, especially if it's alesis and gold [XT], but try to get him down to 75 ;) .. very good machine, i had 2, and linked them. it sounds great, and kinna gives its own sound coz it's only 20bits. i used to use one for live sound recording as well. It's nice since you just run out of the an 8 bus mixer into the 8 ins on the ADAT. 6 buses to sum the band, and 2 for over crowd mics. very nice, easy to get tapes too, since its svhs..

You can sync the timecode to a DAW using a ADAT to MIDI covertor, or if your lucky your sound card has a timecode input.. I do not remember if the digital optical ins and out send timecode..

if your not going to use it for recording, not sure if you should get it.. More people would want to transfer from reel to reel I think.. ADATs came around while people still used reel to reel, and protools became standard not far after. So its very niche..We didn't even have one at school, only a tascam 24track reel, and a protools tdm setup, and that was in '98..

come to think of it, in my studio, I only used it to record rough mixes, then would final mix and bounce everything to a 2 track fostex dat.
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

concretecowboy71

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 pm

Alesis machines have a lightpipe out on them too that is handy. One cable (can you call it that? It is so darn skinny.) Carries all 8 channels of info. One for input, one for output. My Alesis HD24 has three of them and I use them for budget converters into Pro Tools using a Lightbridge by MAudio.

A really cheap way to get more inputs into Pro Tools without having to buy a ton of gear.

Don't know if that is really on topic, but thought I would throw it out there.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

piaptk

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:12 am

$100 sounds fair... I worked at a studio in high schOol (mid 90s) and that was what we recorded to (they probably still do! Haha). Interesting format.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:56 am

JayDC wrote:if your not going to use it for recording, not sure if you should get it.. More people would want to transfer from reel to reel I think..
well...if your tapes are ADATs, that's what you'd need to transfer from! it will be interesting to see what is out there...

I bought it. $75. thanks for the input and info, all!